Error message: The file name is not valid - Excel document
Thread poster: Sue Crocker

Sue Crocker  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:22
French to English
Feb 14, 2012

Hello,
I have translated a worksheet in an Excel 97-2003 file using Trados 2007. I cannot create the target file because I get the following message:
The name is not valid. (Exception from HRESULT: ox800300FC (STG_E_Invalidname).
I did some looking around and one suggestion involved shortening the name, so I renamed the source and ttx files to name test, but was still unable to produce the clean file.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Sue Crocker

Direct link Reply with quote

Pavel Mondschein  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:52
English to Czech
+ ...
Re: Error message: The file name is not valid - Excel document Feb 14, 2012

Hi,

try following:
- use only ASCI characters in the name. There might be problems if some special Unicode characters are used
- select different folder when saving the file. Note that all folder names are included in filename (as far as filesystem is concerned), so "C:\Documents\MyFile.txt" is not 6+3 chars long, but 19+3. Saving a file in long series of subsequent folders may result in filename too long

I am not saying that solution is really as simple as that, but this is good start to eliminate the most obvious causes of your problem

Sue Crocker  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:22
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for suggestion - didn't work Feb 15, 2012

Hi,
Thanks so much for suggesting that workaround. I tried it but it didn't work. Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Sue

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message: The file name is not valid - Excel document

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search