Thread poster: Petra Dr. Schmidt-Sarbutt

Petra Dr. Schmidt-Sarbutt
Australia
Local time: 07:05
German to English
+ ...
Feb 14, 2012

Hi everyone,

I have just upgraded from Trados 2007 (8.3.161.0) to Studio 2011 (with Office 2010 on Windows 7, 64 bit).
I knew it wouldn't be easy, but...
Having been assured by the SDL sales people that I would be able to import my existing TM, this is so not working.
When trying to import the .txt I get the msaage '"Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Any suggestions??

Cheers, Petra

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:05
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do the right things right Feb 14, 2012

There is a function called Upgrade Translation Memories - this is the one you need to be able to use your TMs from T2007 in Studio.
Or, if you indeed wish to import, chose the right format, which is TMX instead of TXT.

Australia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Feb 15, 2012

Thank you, Jerzy. Problem solved: I had in fact converted most of the old TMs, but needed to import some of the others into new or existing 2011 TMs. It should have been obvious to export in a different format, but I started to panic a little.
Greetings from Sydney,
Petra

[Bearbeitet am 2012-02-15 00:04 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:05
English
Just a little extra info on this... Feb 15, 2012

Hi Petra,

If you use the upgrade TMs as Jerzy suggests you can also use this to import the *.txt format. So you select the SDLTM you want to import to, and the *.txt and the upgrade process can merge them together... which is essentially what you're after.

But also worth noting that to do this Studio will convert the *.txt to a *.tmw, then it will export a *.tmx and it will use this for the process... it just does all this in the background to save you the job.

Regards

Paul

Australia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That didn't work Feb 15, 2012

Hi Paul,

I had in fact tried to do just that - i.e. upgrade, followed by import of a .txt file. That's when I got that cryptic error message.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if SDL (or for that matter, other software developers) would provide us with error messages that actually tell us what exactly has gone wrong?
Anyhow, the problem has been solved now. Hooray!

Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing Trados 8 (2007) TM into Studio 2011

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search