Tag problem saving target with docx files
Thread poster: Heather Milligan

Heather Milligan
Local time: 21:39
German to English
Feb 15, 2012

I know this has come up a number of times in various forms, but I so far haven't found anything to solve the problem in my case.

The situation is as follows:

- Using Studio 2011, I create an .sdlxliff file from a .docx and send it to a translator
- The translator is able to translate it just fine, but can't use either Preview or Save Target
- The error message is "Fehlendes Tag 'bookmarkstart id=0'..." (missing tag etc.)

- Tag verifier is set to run automatically and isn't flagging anything
- If you turn on the view that shows all formatting tags, the bookmark tags start with id=1, so we can't find an id=0 tag

- Interestingly, when the text comes back to me running Studio 2011, there is no problem at all. Preview and Save Target work just fine.

- It seems to be mainly (only?) .docx files that are causing the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Converting all texts into another format before processing seems a bit tedious, so it would be nice to understand what is causing the problem.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Perhaps... Feb 15, 2012

... there is an invalid bookmark in the docx itself? If it's allowed send me the docx and the sdlxliff you have translated and I'll take a quick look.

Regards

Paul

Heather Milligan
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Recognize invalid bookmark? Feb 15, 2012

Sorry, the texts are subject to quite strict confidentiality requirements (financial reporting), so I can't share the texts at all.

How would I recognize an invalid bookmark?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
It can come from a number of places... Feb 15, 2012

... but typically this sort of error can be seen.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/166867

Often if you open the bookmark manager you can find corrupted bookmarks in the list and just removing them sometimes does the trick.

Regards

Paul

Heather Milligan
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Some success Feb 16, 2012

Thank you!

In at least one case I was able to delete the bookmark that was causing the problem and the file worked then. I'm not sure yet though whether it will solve all files, but will keep an eye on it.

I have the suspicion that the customer is copying the text out of a layouting format like InDesign (don't know which one though) and that that is responsible for the weird bookmarks, etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag problem saving target with docx files

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search