Trados S-Tagger and Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: Annett Hieber

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:09
English to German
Feb 15, 2012

Dear all,

I am about to receive a new, very large project consisting of MIF-files, with which I haven't worked before yet. I got the following process instructions for working with such files and do not really/fully understand what this means. The process is as follows:

"1) From my side, I send you the MIF files.
2) You open the Trados tool S-Tagger for FrameMaker (which is included in any TRADOS version) and set your project settings (project folders, and so forth). (We will see this step together in more detail).
3) Select Convert MIF, choose the converted MIF files, and then convert these files in Trados TXT format. These are to be used for translation.
4) Once the bilingual files are edited and translated, proceed with the reverse to convert all these files back into MIF files by using the Convert STF option of TagEditor."

My question is now: have I to use Trados 2007 here? Isn't it possible to use Trados Studio 2009 for translation? I am not an expert with Trados and had problems using Trados 2007. I am currently using Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus with which I'm much more comfortable.

Furthermore, it is said:

"MIF files are Adobe FramMaker files converted into a portable format. MIF files can be translated using TRADOS TagEditor." - and
"Using TRADOS is the only way to have the translated files back in FrameMaker, which I need in order to generate the Help files in the proper format. Furthermore, this allows you to create your own TM for future releases of the text in question." - and
"Anyway, everything is explained in the "S-Tagger User Guide", which is included in the Trados documentation set."

Does anyone know this S-Tagger User Guide? I don't seem to find it in my documentation (Trados 2007 Freelance version).

I would appreciate it very much, if anyone of the Trados experts here could give me some advice.

Thank you very much.

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:09
English to Czech
+ ...
MIF Files Feb 16, 2012

Hello Annett,
Studio supports MIF files versions 8 – 10. Earlier versions (up to 7) need to be pre-processed with STagger for FrameMaker.

However, I experience problems when processing large MIFs (larger than about 20 MB) in Studio 2011. Most notably, the project creation process fails during the "Word Count" batch task. Single files can be still opened with "Open Document", but then the target file will not generate (throwing an "Out of Memory exception" error message). There seems to be a bug in how Studio handles physical memory, because I believe that 4 MB RAM size should be more than enough for this task.

This said, I almost always use STagger to prepare TTX files and work on these in Studio. Working with STagger is pretty straightforward. Just take a sample file and a few moments to try it yourself.

[Upraveno: 2012-02-16 14:46 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados S-Tagger and Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search