Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Am I the only one who's horribly disappointed by the new Trados?
Thread poster: Didier Devynck

Didier Devynck  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Feb 15, 2012

OK. The subject line is a euphemism. To be totally frank, I think Trados has become the worst piece of software I own. I upgraded to Trados 2011 and now I can't send unclean files to the clients who require them because these files are in a proprietary format and, if my clients don't have Trados 2011, they can't use them. And even if they own this latest version, I'm not even sure they can do anything with the files. I may lose clients because of this.
I am trying to use Trados 2007 since it came with Trados 2011. The ttx files seem to behave properly (i.e. the same way they used to with the previous versions of Trados) but I can't figure out what to do with Word files. Trados "Synergy" (don't you love the way they come up with fancy names for their software instead of providing support for it?) insists on opening these files in Word but then I see no interaction whatsoever with Workbench or any other Trados component.
I am pulling my hair over this and I am just about ready to uninstall Trados and go with Wordfast.
Please tell me I'm not the only one to have these issues.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
No, I am not disappointed... Feb 15, 2012

...but not because I think it is a good program, it is only because I never expected anything good from Trados (which I bought when it first came out, because an agency requested it, and kept on buying it because other agencies requested it). If it was up to me, I would never buy it or use it.

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:42
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
No problems with Trados so far Feb 15, 2012

I have no problems with Trados so far. I can recommend to get some training.

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
CAT Tools Feb 15, 2012

If you're looking for a perfect CAT tool, you'll be disappointed with all of them. There's a learning curve to make the most out of them, needs patience and more

Merix
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
You need training for sure Feb 15, 2012

I prefer Trados Studio (2009) best. You can adjust and utilise all formats to your specific needs. What's more you can work on ttx. files sent by agency and then save it in the same format. Wait until they repair and fix all the problems in 2011, I never test new or upcoming versions, because they have bugs. So wait for upgrades, service packs.

Switch to 2009, when it is installed you can use 2009 and 2011 separately. In my opinion, Trados 2007 is getting out of use and is / was lame.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wordfast Feb 15, 2012

After having used both Trados (first 2007 and then, just to give it another chance, 2009) and Wordfast, I concluded that since Wordfast is simple, effective, well-supported, has excellent documentation and tutorials and a fantastic community of generally satisfied users (none of which I can say about Trados), I have no reason not to choose what works best for me.

I have received help late on a Sunday night, just to give one example. Can anyone say as much for Trados?

The learning curve for basic functions is short, and you can begin to use more features as you need or learn about them.

I use Classic for most projects, but Pro and Anywhere have their benefits, too.

After trying both Trados (2007 and 2009) and Wordfast, I would never go back to Trados.

And as far as clients requiring me to use a specific CAT tool, my position is that what tool I use is my business, not theirs. I've had a few TM compatibility issues, but not enough to change my mind.

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:42
English to Spanish
Bilingual ("unclean") Word files & Studio Feb 15, 2012

Hi Didier,

If you have Studio, to provide your clients with bilingual ("unclean") Word files do the following:

1) In Workbench (Trados 2007 Studio), go to Tools/Translate, and make sure that the "Segment unknown sentences" is checked.
2) Pre-segment your Word file in Workbench using an empty TM. In the "Files to translate" box add the files you want to pre-segment either by dragging and dropping them or using the "Add..." button.
3) Click on the "Translate" button. The result will be a pre-segmented Word file, with the exact same source text as source and target for every segment.
4) In Studio 2011, go to Tools/Options
5) Click on "File Types" to expand the list
6) Click on "Microsoft 2000/2003/2007/2010" (according the Word version used for the file you have) to expand the list
7) Click on “Common”
8) Make sure the "Process files with tw4winMark style" checkbox is unchecked.
9) Prepare your project in Studio as you normally do, adding your pre-segmented file, TM and TB (if any) at the appropriate steps.
10) Translate the Word file
11) Save the file, it will be saved as a bilingual ("unclean") Word file.

Good luck!

Miguel

[Edited at 2012-02-15 19:59 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Just to add to this... Feb 15, 2012

.... hopefully we will release a new OpenExchange application this week developed by Patrick Hartnett that will save your sdlxliff (or a project full of sdlxliff files) as TTX, bilingual doc/docx or TMX files.

Perhaps this will be useful for you?

Regards

Paul

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:42
English to Spanish
Ability to save an sdlxliff as TTX, bilingual doc/docx or TMX files Feb 15, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

.... hopefully we will release a new OpenExchange application this week developed by Patrick Hartnett that will save your sdlxliff (or a project full of sdlxliff files) as TTX, bilingual doc/docx or TMX files.

Regards

Paul

Thank you, Paul!

For one, I will be using this OpenExchange application often, and I am sure many other Studio users will too.

Miguel

Didier Devynck  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OpenExchange application Feb 15, 2012

Paul,

This OpenExchange application would certainly solve many of my issues.

Thank you.

Didier

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:42
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Good news! Feb 16, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Looking forward to the release of Patrick's app.
Since I've been using Studio, I still haven't tried creating bilingual docs although I have asked some questions on how to do so, having read that so many clients ask for them. So I wonder if this new app will now really do away with the need for Trados 2007?

Cheers,

Rich

Gyula Erdész
Hungary
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Use the tool that fits to your needs Feb 16, 2012

Didier Devynck wrote:

I think Trados has become the worst piece of software I own.

In my opinion, Trados is a brilliant and really effective translation tool for certain users and for certain jobs. I have tried (used more than 2 weeks) all the major CAT software in the last few years, including Transit XV, Transit NXT, memoQ, Wordfast Pro, Deja Vu X2 and then I decided to use Trados 2011 as my main tool.

Why?
- Its Autosuggest and Autotext functions result a solid 20% rise in my daily output.
- 95% of my jobs come in Indesign (idml), ttx, sdlxliff or Trados 2011 project package formats. Trados 2011 handles all of them perfectly. No matter what other CAT tool developers say in their advertisements, if you need to translate .ttx or sdlxliff files, the best and safest solution is still Trados.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not a Trados fan. I certainly know the drawbacks of this software and I could name at least 20 things that really annoy me. But I can live with these nuisances in order to make a good use of its huge advantages. It is so simple.

I think the most important thing is to choose your CAT tool to your special needs. We have to accept that CAT developers are simply not able to satisfy all of our needs with one tool, since our needs are pretty diverse.

Make a list with your criteria. Test all the possible tools extensively. Choose your favorite one. Be happy with it.

Best regards,

Gyula

[Módosítva: 2012-02-16 05:44 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Three years later... and not from SDL? Feb 16, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Paul, are you saying that it took you three years to offer a solution to this kind of issues... and that it is not a tool developed by SDL?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Not exactly... Feb 16, 2012

Hello Tomás,

We can handle these flavours, but we are not able to create these formats from an SDLXLIFF directly using Studio... in fact we have not wanted to do this. So Studio will open a TTX, or a bilingual doc and can save these formats back again. But it wasn't able to open ICML and save this as a TTX or bilingual doc for example.

There are plenty of good reasons to always make sure the file went into Studio in these formats first, and we have always provided the tools to do this properly, so this way the target files always match the segmentation, tagging etc. that Trados tools would create.

But more recently I'm beginning to realise that the reason many clients ask for these formats is not because they care about the segmentation and tags... all they want to have is something they can use to update their TMs and store away. I still don't believe this is all clients of course, but the guys who tested this app during development reported that their clients were very happy with the results... so I guess it's more than I thought. This being the case means this app will be a nice addition to the toolkit of Studio users.

So yes, we haven't developed this tool. It has been developed by others (as at least 80% of the apps in the OpenExchange are) and there are many many more on the way... also not developed by SDL. The whole point of the OpenExchange is just that.

Regards

Paul

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Careful what you wish for... Feb 16, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
There are plenty of good reasons to always make sure the file went into Studio in these formats first, and we have always provided the tools to do this properly, so this way the target files always match the segmentation, tagging etc. that Trados tools would create.

Paul is right here - incorporating this as an out-of-the-box feature would be... unwise. Otherwise they would be explaining to new users over and over again that the client is angry, because he got bilingual rtf created with Studio 2011, while he wanted bilingual created with 2007 and only processed with 2011 (as they are bound to be different).

It is like importing unsegmented ttx into MemoQ - the feature is there, but you better stay away from it unless you know very well what you are doing...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Am I the only one who's horribly disappointed by the new Trados?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search