Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:41
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 16, 2012

Dear fellow translators,
I have an annoying problem with trados 2011 segmentation.
Since I translate mainly medical texts, there are a lot of references in them.
I explain myself better. In a phrase like the following:

"These observations have been made in Danish,27 Italian28 and German players.29 The Zimbabwean junior soccer players studied had average mass and height of 60.9 kg and 1.71 m, respectively".

Trados segmentation does't recognize the fact that the numbers 27, 28 and 29 are written in superscript and that the number 29 marks the end of the phrase.
I think that Trados technicians should have added such a rule because it is really annoying having to split all sentences manually.
I don't know how to fix this problem in word or in Trados..
I hope someone has a solution.
Thank you,
Bruno

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Here's probably why... Feb 16, 2012

Hi Bruno,

Take a look at this text, both paragraphs look the same:

In Studio they do this:

The reason for the difference is because your example doesn't use proper footnotes or endnotes. So as far as Studio is concerned these are only numbers... in fact the first one is joined to the word with a full stop and no spaces so the sentence doesn't even segment. If I replace these with real footnotes that look the same you can see the difference.

Regards

Paul

Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to link numbers to footnotes? Feb 16, 2012

Dear Paul,
thank you very much for your answer. So, maybe, I can resolve this issue.
Excuse me for the ignorance, but how can I render them real footnotes (in microsoft word, I suppose)?
Thank you for your help,
Bruno

United Kingdom
English
Yes... this is an MSWord feature Feb 16, 2012

Hi Bruno,

So you would have to go through the document first and convert them. But iot would really make more sense for the author to use them in the first place. It must be quite a task to manage references manually like this.

... or maybe they actually do this elsewhere and you are handling a converted document that looks like this? Or maybe a scanned version converted to Word... or something like that?

Regards

Paul

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Segmentation? Feb 16, 2012

Paul,

Isn't it possible to create a segmentation rule [period][tag][number]?

United Kingdom
English
Of course... Feb 16, 2012

Jabberwock wrote:

Paul,

Isn't it possible to create a segmentation rule [period][tag][number]?

Hi,

You could of course. I think without the tag for the part not segmented, but there is no consistency in the example so I guess it may not be suitable for all.

But yes... you could do this and deal with the exceptions that segmented where you didn't want it... depending on the rest of the document it might be messy though.

I think it would be better to get the source right.... and more useful as the finished article would also use references correctly.... in Word.

Regards

Paul

Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados SP2 and superscript numbers Jul 28, 2012

Hi everybody,
I am reopening this post because I have seen that with SP2 of Trados 2011 it is no more possible to split segments with superscript numbers (see also: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229483-split_segment_in_studio_2011_sp2.html).
So, how do I have to behave in order to split such segments?
Do I have to fix all word files who don't make a proper use of footnotes or endnotes?
That would be quite time-consuming...
Thank you for your help,
Bruno

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados segmentation with superscript numbers used for the references

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search