How to accept all tracked changes if there are no source files?
Thread poster: Natalie

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:05
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Feb 16, 2012

Hi folks,

I have a project with a rather complicated folder structure (over a hundred small files).

I have no source files as I received translated SDLXLIFF files and edited them with tracking changes.

My question is: how can I accept all tracked changes in the project (as finalizing returns an error due to absence of source files)?

Thank you,
Natalia

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason:

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Seems odd... Feb 16, 2012

Hi Natalie,

I don't quite follow you here. Finalising wouldn't resolve track changes either... at least I don't think it will. I also managed to finalise some sdlxliff files opened after moving them elsewhere to another folder and removing the source files so perhaps your files were created without the embedded source?

To remove the tracked changes you'd have to accept changes in all the files one at a time... so maybe you could try one of the following.

1. Create a merged project with all the files and accept changes in this one.
2. Create a merged project with all the files, export to word with the sdlxliff converter and accept changes in there then import back.

I suggested both because it the files are huge it might be easier to manage in a massive word file than a massive sdlxliff.

Regards

Paul

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Paul Feb 16, 2012

First of all, I don't know how were the files created.

1) The problem is that my customer has Studio 2009 and I worked in Studio 2011. Not knowing this version difference, I used the track changes option, and now I need to get rid of the tracks.

2) I have accepted the tracked changes manually, by confirming them in all files where they were, but the customer still complains that the tracks are still there.

3) The files aren't too huge, the main problem is that there are rather too many of them (over a hundred), and they are located in a complicated tree of folders.

I will try your suggestions now, thank you!

Natalia

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Not sure you can get rid of them Feb 16, 2012

Hi Natalie,

If you already accepted the changes, and your customer has 2009, then the only way it is evident you used 2011 is by looking in the sdlxliff with a text editor. In 2009 they would not be visible anyway, they will be completely ignored and the target files should be generated without a problem using the changes you accepted.

What exactly is the customer concerned about? I don't think I fully understand this.

Regards

Paul

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
The customer has some problems with opening the tracked files Feb 16, 2012

They have just replied, however, that the tracks remained in a few files only, so may be I have just overlooked somethnig. I will reopen the files and double-check.

Thanks again,
Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to accept all tracked changes if there are no source files?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search