International Translation Day 2018

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event September 25-26th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Studio Excel formula error #Name?
Thread poster: Tom Fennell

Tom Fennell
United States
Local time: 09:44
Member (2010)
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 16, 2012

Hi everybody,

I translated a large Excel workbook with about 10-15 worksheets. Naturally there are many formulas which refer to other worksheets.

The file converted into English as target, but all the formulas (which I did not translate) were converted incorrectly, and the single quotation mark used with worksheet references in formulas was left out:

'Expenses'!G5

became

Expenses!G5

Now most of the formulas are inoperative, with the error message #Name? in most calculated cells. I've tried translating from an .xls (2003) and .xlsx (2007) file format - same result.

I tried search and replacing them manually, which seemed to work for a while, but then some replacements got me into some sort of loop looking for external worksheets. Since some formulas have 1-3 thousand cells referring to them, I was not going to click thousands of times and then find out it didn't work.

This would seem to be such a basic item - I'm lost about what might be amiss. I fear this may be a case of an error in the infamous file type filters.

Thanks for any suggestions!


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:44
English
Needless to say... Feb 16, 2012

... I can't repro the problem with a simple teste file.

Hi Tom,

Any chance I can see the source and the translated sdlxliff?

Regards

Paul


 

Tom Fennell
United States
Local time: 09:44
Member (2010)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem Solved..... Feb 17, 2012

Dear all,

The amazing Paul and his colleagues at SDL have confirmed that this is a bug with Studio 2011.

The only solution for now is re-translating the file in Studio 2009.

The SDL developers will doubtless be working day and night to fix this nasty shock.

Hopefully the patch will come out soon.


 

Tom Fennell
United States
Local time: 09:44
Member (2010)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update for a work-around if you are stuck Feb 21, 2012

I finally an idea today which I wish I'd had last week. It should help you if you have this problem.

I had tried saving the Excel 2003 source file as an Excel 2007 file, but that did not help.

Today I pressed "select all sheets" and then copied all the sheets together from the Excel 2003 file to a new Excel 2007 source file. The links were updated from the 'Sheet'!A1 format to the Sheet!A1 format on all the sheets except, strangely, the first sheet.

However it only took 5 minutes to do 5 global replaces for the links on this one sheet.

[Edited at 2012-02-21 16:14 GMT]


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio Excel formula error #Name?

Advanced search







WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search