Thread poster: ibz

ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:43
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 18, 2012

Dear all,

After many years of translating without using a CAT tool, I'm now thinking about buying Trados Studio 2011 Freelance. However as I'm an addicted Mac user, I have a couple of questions which you might be able to answer.

First of all: I read that Trados can be run on Mac as well, either by using a Boot Camp or Parallels / VMware. I think that the latter would be more convenient but I would like to know about your experiences. Does Trados get too slow if both systems are running or is it no problem?

And then another question: Do you think that Trados is kind of self-explanatory, i.e. that it can be used without attending a training or by referring only to online tutorials? As already said, I'm a beginner (even though I attended a Wordfast training a couple of years ago but this might not help me at all ...).

And then a last question: I have three computers (two iMacs Intel Core 2 Duo, 2,66 GHz, and one Mac Airbook). If I buy Trados, can I then download it to all of them or would I need a second licence? The programme would only be used on one computer at any time, of course.

Thank you very much for your help!
Regards,
Irene

Stephanie Busch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
My experience of Trados on a Mac Feb 18, 2012

Hi ibz,

I have been running Trados Studio 2009 on an iMac for some time without experiencing major problems. I use Parallels as I want to have access to my Mac programs at the same time.

In any case (Bootcamp or virtual machine), you'll need to have Windows installed.

My iMac has 4 GB of RAM, 2 of which are assigned to the virtual machine. Launching Trados Studio does take some time, but afterwards the program runs smoothly. I don't work with very large files or TMs though.

By purchasing the Studio Freelance Plus you get two activations of the software. You can install it on as many machines as you like, and activate two copies at a time (if using Plus). In case you need to use a third computer as well, you'll have to return one of the licences from your other machines to do so.

You might also consider purchasing Studio together with Trados 2007, e.g. if your clients want you to work with bilingual RTFs.

Training is definitely recommended, as there is no manual, only the online help, and Studio is very complex.

Hope this helps!
Stephanie

Boris Matveev
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:43
English to Russian
mac seems to be good choice Feb 18, 2012

First,
As another addicted Mac user, I wish you every success in installing trados on Mac. I use trados on PC currently, but I'll plan to buy Parallels and put trados to Mac in the near future. But, at the same time, I preserve my Windows PC for some rare complex cases when I wish to check the work in original, not-emulated environment in Windows.

Second,
Trados isn't self-explanatory at all, unfortunately, and some training would be useful.

[Edited at 2012-02-18 19:58 GMT]

ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 19, 2012

Hi again,

Thanks for your replies an comments. Good to hear that it should work like that!
However I'm still wondering: If I have to buy Parallels, Windows, and Microsoft Office for Windows (which I would need, right?) and install all of these programmes, wouldn't it perhaps be easier and not much more expensive to simply buy a Windows laptop for my Trados projects?
I'm asking because I intend to keep working as much as possible on my Mac, and only one of my clients requires Trados (until now). What do you think?

You can see clearly that I'm rather hesitant to run Windows on my Mac - I'm a bit superstitious and I don't want to "upset" it icon_wink.gif

Thanks again for all your help,
Irene

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
No need to buy Trados Feb 19, 2012

ibz wrote:
and only one of my clients requires Trados (until now).

Just because one of your clients "requires" Trados doesn't mean you have to buy Trados. There are several other tools (usually cheaper and easier to learn) that will let you deliver what your client expects.
You'll first have to find out which flavour of Trados your client "requires".

Boris Matveev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
No need to buy Microsoft Office for Windows Feb 20, 2012

ibz wrote:

Hi again,

Thanks for your replies an comments. Good to hear that it should work like that!
However I'm still wondering: If I have to buy Parallels, Windows, and Microsoft Office for Windows (which I would need, right?) and install all of these programmes, wouldn't it perhaps be easier and not much more expensive to simply buy a Windows laptop for my Trados projects?

No need to buy Microsoft Office for Windows as there is MS Office for Mac.

ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 21, 2012

Thanks to all of you for your help! My decision is made: I just bought Parallels, Windows and Trados Studio 2011 as this seems to be the best solution for me and according to your commets, I shouldn't have any problems running Trados on Mac.
Now I'll try to install everything ... keep your fingers crossed icon_wink.gif
Regards,
Irene

Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Microsoft office is necessary Feb 21, 2012

[/quote]

No need to buy Microsoft Office for Windows as there is MS Office for Mac. [/quote]

Hi everybody,
I am sorry to tell you that microsoft office is necessary for using Trados.
One has to install it in windows, because Trados uses it in many tasks..

ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Bruno Feb 21, 2012

Hi Bruno,
Are you sure about that? After the comments made by bmatveev, I also checked the SDL Trados website where they explain how to use Trados on Mac. They only say that you need Microsoft Windows but make no mention of Microsoft Office ... Would be too bad!
Regards,
Irene

Natalia Allende  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Microsoft office on parallels Apr 18, 2012

I am wondering exactly the same as others... I installed parallels on my Mac and Windows 7 as well. I can see on the Windows start menu that my microsoft office for mac appears in some kind of shared form. I'm hoping that I actually won't need to install office on my virtual machine as well.

Does anyone know the answer to this with certainty?

Thanks!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Depends what you need? Apr 18, 2012

Hi,

You can process office files without Office 2007/2010 being installed. But you won't be able to use the realtime preview or check the target files using the "View in" feature, or use MS Word spell checking as all of these features use Office to do this. You can of course manually open the target files with whatever supporting office software you use, but Studio will only make use of MS Office for this.

If you are translating pdf files or rtf files then you do need Office 2003 or later as we use Office in the background to help with the conversions.

And if you are translating Excel 2000 - 2003 files then you need Office for this too.

So, depending on what you are going to use Studio to translate you can decide whether you need Office or not.

Regards

Paul

Mirjam Spekking  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
I use VMware Fusion to run SDL Trados on Mac Apr 20, 2012

And so far (I have been working with it on my Mac for almost a year now) it works fine.

I do not have Microsoft Office, I work with Open Office. When I get an excel file to work with I open it in Open Office and save it as an openoffice.file. The translated file I then later save as an xls.file.

Trados uses other spelling checkers apart from the spelling checker in Word, so that is covered too.

By the way, I was very happy when I found out there was a way to run Trados on a Mac.

Mirjam

Jorge Pelegrina  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi, Jun 11, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

You can process office files without Office 2007/2010 being installed. But you won't be able to use the realtime preview or check the target files using the "View in" feature, or use MS Word spell checking as all of these features use Office to do this. You can of course manually open the target files with whatever supporting office software you use, but Studio will only make use of MS Office for this.

If you are translating pdf files or rtf files then you do need Office 2003 or later as we use Office in the background to help with the conversions.

And if you are translating Excel 2000 - 2003 files then you need Office for this too.

So, depending on what you are going to use Studio to translate you can decide whether you need Office or not.

Regards

Paul

Jorge Pelegrina  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Problem with license Jun 11, 2012

Jorge Pelegrina wrote:

Hello. I've had serious problems with my pc and I lost some data in my hard drive. I've had to buy another hard drive and I coudn't deactivate the license in the broken drive. Will I have problems at activating the license in another PC?

Thank you

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

Regards

Paul

juliette_K  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
There is hope : ) Jun 11, 2012

Hi ibz,

just to say that IMHO you could try and learn Trados all alone. It would indeed take some good research on the net (to find manuals: there are some for free), some time, some patience (i.e. to read at least some of the most important chapters of Trados' built-in Help) and some (basic) IT skills. But you could. That's what I did.
I'm not (yet?) an advanced user, but I can use it to deliver translations, be it in single files, in projects, or in packages.
And the net is full of advice for every problem you should ever have. So is this wonderful forum.

Thought you'd like to hear that.
Ciao : )
Giunia

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011 Freelance and Mac

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search