https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/218689-trados_2009_database_question.html

Trados 2009 Database question
Thread poster: patriciabr
patriciabr
patriciabr  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:13
English to Spanish
Feb 20, 2012

I'd like to know how a translation is sent to a Trados general database. When I create a project I can create a memory, or add it, but isn't there a general database where all my translations are sent to anyway? I refer to a general database that can be used for any document even if I create no memory for it, or I need to import the relevant memory to said document.

For example, in DejaVu, which I use in my office, I select a terminology database where all my translations are sent t
... See more
I'd like to know how a translation is sent to a Trados general database. When I create a project I can create a memory, or add it, but isn't there a general database where all my translations are sent to anyway? I refer to a general database that can be used for any document even if I create no memory for it, or I need to import the relevant memory to said document.

For example, in DejaVu, which I use in my office, I select a terminology database where all my translations are sent to, but I don't see how Trados does that.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Patricia
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:13
English to Czech
+ ...
No general database, unless you create one Feb 20, 2012

Hi Patricia,
you first need to create a TM to use it to store your translations. How you organize your TMs is completely up to you; you may want to organize them by client, or use one super-TM for anything you translate. But you first need to create it anyway.

Roy OConnor (X)
Roy OConnor (X)
Local time: 15:13
German to English
Using multiple TMs Feb 20, 2012

Here is a tip when using multiple TMs in Trados:

Normally the first (top) TM is updated. You can add others just for lookup purposes without a problem, if they are disabled for update.

As I understand it though, if you have say two TMs and you want to update both of them then the second one has to have the same field value structure as the first one. For example, let's say that you have field values of Transation number, Client, Topic, Status defined for the first TM. T
... See more
Here is a tip when using multiple TMs in Trados:

Normally the first (top) TM is updated. You can add others just for lookup purposes without a problem, if they are disabled for update.

As I understand it though, if you have say two TMs and you want to update both of them then the second one has to have the same field value structure as the first one. For example, let's say that you have field values of Transation number, Client, Topic, Status defined for the first TM. The second TM should have the same four field values otherwise it may not update even though it is enabled for update.
Collapse

patriciabr
patriciabr  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:13
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the information Feb 24, 2012

Thank you for all your comments. I'm still working on this.

Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 Database question

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »