Denmark
Local time: 21:55
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
Feb 20, 2012

Hello,

This informaiton might be readily availble, but I cannot find it. .. so please:

I want to use my own TM actively as main TM with an assignment delivered as a packaged project including a customer (or several, as 'all' language pairs are included).
Can I simply add my own TM and be sure that it does not get included in the project TM, that I will return to the customer.

Kind regards,
Birthe

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Yes, you can use it Feb 20, 2012

Yes, you can add your TM to the list of TMs in project settings when you have opened the package. Enable "update" for the project TM and yours.
Then, before you return the package, remember to remove your TM from the list.

Another possibility would be just to update your TM and then when you have finished, use Batch Tasks to update the project TM.

HTH,
Emma

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Simple answer: yes Feb 20, 2012

You can add as many TMs from your own as you wish.
If you need to be sure they do not deliver "accidentaly" 100% matches, set the penalty to 1% for each of them.
However, I am not sure, if there is no trace of this in the return package - nevertheless, I add my TMs to all customer packages, because why should I not do that?

Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Always a simple answer .. Feb 20, 2012

Thank you to Emma and Jerzy,

I thought that was the way. As for not returning my own TM, is more as a matter of confidentiality than anything else.

I will add it in .. and then remove it.

Kind regards,
Birthe

Robin Salmon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:55
German to English
+ ...
Giving away your personal TM Feb 22, 2012

Jerzy says he gives away all his TMs in the package and asks why not.

I use only one TM for my main language pair, German to UK English. I have built it up since 2003 and it is very useful, as it now contains 833,000 translation units. I don't see why I should just give it away to an agency and don't think that is being selfish.

Another point I would like to make is that some PMs do not seem to understand what I see as the purpose of Trados - to be a resource. I never use only the customer-supplied TM for a project but PMs seem to think that is all I need. I export theirs to my big working one. When they ask me to send the TM back, I go through the text again using their TM, clicking on each segment to add it (probably I'm being a dinosaur there but its the only way I know). Obviously, if I don't use my TM with the concordance, I am wasting it - I seem to find about half of the terms I need there, without having to use paper/CD/online dictionaries.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Misunderstanding Feb 22, 2012

Robin Salmon wrote:

Jerzy says he gives away all his TMs in the package and asks why not.

I use only one TM for my main language pair, German to UK English. I have built it up since 2003 and it is very useful, as it now contains 833,000 translation units. I don't see why I should just give it away to an agency and don't think that is being selfish.

Another point I would like to make is that some PMs do not seem to understand what I see as the purpose of Trados - to be a resource. I never use only the customer-supplied TM for a project but PMs seem to think that is all I need. I export theirs to my big working one. When they ask me to send the TM back, I go through the text again using their TM, clicking on each segment to add it (probably I'm being a dinosaur there but its the only way I know). Obviously, if I don't use my TM with the concordance, I am wasting it - I seem to find about half of the terms I need there, without having to use paper/CD/online dictionaries.

I do not give the TMs, as they will NEVER be included in the package. Not even the project TM is returned back. What I do is not removing the reference to my TM, because I assume nearly no one checks that.
Of course I would never give away my 1,2 million segments TM - but I can sell iticon_smile.gif

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Return package contents Feb 22, 2012

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Not even the project TM is returned back.

Hi Jerzy,

I didn't know that the project TM isn't included in a return package. I've even double-checked in Studio Help and you're quite right. icon_wink.gif

When you create a return package it only includes the project files and not the translation memory, termbases or AutoSuggest dictionaries. A return package contains files for which a manual task has been completed.

Thanks for putting us right,
Emma

[Edited at 2012-02-22 08:19 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can easily check what is send out Feb 22, 2012

If you have WinZIP, WinRAR or other archive tool on your computer installed, right click a returning package and open it with thjs tool - it is an archive.
Otherwise make a copy of the package and rename to ZIP, this will allow you to use the WIndows ability to unzip.
You will then see exactly what is provided. If you right click on the sdlproj file and open it in Notepad, you can also read all the information given.

So do not bother and add any resources to the package you find necessary to work better. When you do not want to disclose those, remember the settings from the start and apply them before creating a return package.
There is however one small "but" in this process. If you add any machine translation source to your project, segments translated using it will be marked as "origin: machine translation", so that could be a culprit for some customers, although personally I do not see anything wrong with it. If I can google for translation on my own manually and no* customer would have something against, I can also do that in an automated way.

*Of course provided the NDA will allow googling at all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use of my own TM with a customer supplied package - Studio 2009

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search