International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Removing duplicate entries from termbase
Thread poster: Yaniv Moshkovitz

Yaniv Moshkovitz  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:22
Member (2014)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2012

Hello,
I'm using SDL MultiTerm 2011. I have a termbase with duplicate entries due to several import attempts. Here is what I did in order to try to remove them:
1. Exported the termbase to a tab-delimited text file, which I then opened on Excel. Here each entry appeared only once.
2. Used MultiTerm Convert to turn the Excel file to an mtf file.
3. Created a new Termbase.
4. Imported the entries from the mtf file.

Even though each entry appeared just once in the excel file from Step 1, when I opened the new termbase I saw the duplicate entries again.

What should I do?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Use MT Feb 21, 2012

I don't understand why you did what you did.
Open MultiTerm, load your termbase. Browse the terms, find the duplicates, right click, press Delete.
HTH

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:22
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Default import definition will always import duplicates Feb 21, 2012

You must write a new import definition and synchronize the export on entries, then chose synchronize on your main (source language) and define what to do with already existing entries.

@Sangro: Why not in MT? Because if you have many duplicates it is a long lasting work...

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sure? Feb 21, 2012

Yaniv Moshkovitz wrote:

1. Exported the termbase to a tab-delimited text file, which I then opened on Excel. Here each entry appeared only once.

First of all, the tab delimited export is unreliable. It may corrupt your TB so should probably stay away from it.
Second, my guess is that the duplicates were there in the Excel file, only not in adjacent rows. Sort the spreadsheet alphabetically and you'll see if I'm right.

Yaniv Moshkovitz  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2014)
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Need more information Feb 22, 2012

Dear Jerzy Czopik,
Could you please elaborate a bit more on the process of writing a new import definition and performing the synchronization?

FarkasAndras: the Excel file is already sorted by alphabet, and surprisingly the duplicates aren't there.

Sangro: since there are hundreds of terms, this can be exhausting and extremely time consuming...

VaclavCermak
Czech Republic
"delete" option is greyed out Apr 30, 2015

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:

I don't understand why you did what you did.
Open MultiTerm, load your termbase. Browse the terms, find the duplicates, right click, press Delete.
HTH

I have Studio 2014 and can't do what you suggest - although that might be the most logic action to take. However, the "delete" option is greyed out i nthe context menu.
Does anyone have a clue how to proceed?

Alex Lilo
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
create an import definition Oct 22, 2015

http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/4605.html

Persian Version

Local time: 16:52
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
removing duplicates from a termbase Jul 17, 2016

I had the same issue and didn't know there was a Ctrl + D shortcut for this!

in multiterm desktop, go to search menu, and choose "Search for duplicate terms"

[Edited at 2016-07-17 16:59 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Removing duplicate entries from termbase

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search