Thread poster: Henning Holthusen

Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 20:24
English to German
+ ...
Feb 21, 2012

I have an excel file from a client.
One column contains English, the other column German text.
The German column is partially blank, I am supposed to enter translated text in the missing fields.

Is there any way I can do this with Trados Studio 2011 or 2009?

I have a TM from that client and need to maintain terminological uniformity.
This kind of Excel translation seems to me to be a common situation, yet I have been completely unable to find anything about how to approach this either in the Help file or online (there are too many hits which regard other issues with Excel files).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:24
French to Polish
+ ...
Conditional formulae Feb 21, 2012

Henning Holthusen wrote:

I have an excel file from a client.
One column contains English, the other column German text.
The German column is partially blank, I am supposed to enter translated text in the missing fields.

Is there any way I can do this with Trados Studio 2011 or 2009?

After some tweaking, yes.

I have a TM from that client and need to maintain terminological uniformity.
This kind of Excel translation seems to me to be a common situation,

Indeed...

yet I have been completely unable to find anything about how to approach this either in the Help file or online (there are too many hits which regard other issues with Excel files).

A set of conditional formulae should do the job.
Assuming the source is A1, the target is B2, you put in C1
=IF(B1=0,A1,0)
Translate the C column.
Then a similar formula for consolidation, e.g.
=IF(C1=0,B1,C1)
Then Paste special (values) from D to B).

These formulae are language dependent, i.e. the English IF should be translated (depending of your Office locale) and the coma (,) should be replaced by your system delimiter (e.g. semicolon).

You can also use a similar formula in order to create a TM from existing strings.
Easy on sound CAT software able to import strings directly from Excel or CSV (e.g. DVX, memoQ, the list is far from being exhaustive...).

Catspeed
GG

ClemRg
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why not use the CSV filter Feb 21, 2012

Save your Excel file as CSV. The CSV filter allows you to select a source and a target column.
After translation save back to Excel

Clemens

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Or txt Feb 21, 2012

ClemRg wrote:

Save your Excel file as CSV. The CSV filter allows you to select a source and a target column.

Clemens

Alternatively, you can also save your file as a tab delimited txt in Excel or by copy-pasting it into a text editor. When you open it with Trados, pick the file type "Tab delimited document (*txt)".
Of course this only works if the file contains text only; no formulas, no comments, no elaborate formatting.
The file will open as a bilingual file; before you start, just confirm existing segments (change their status to translated) and update the TM.

French to Polish
+ ...
Very clean files... Feb 21, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

ClemRg wrote:

Alternatively, you can also save your file as a tab delimited txt in Excel or by copy-pasting it into a text editor. When you open it with Trados, pick the file type "Tab delimited document (*txt)".
Of course this only works if the file contains text only; no formulas, no comments, no elaborate formatting.

And no line strange chars in the cells.
E.g. the line breaks inside cells may be interpreted incorrectly as cell delimiters.
This scenario works OK only for very clean files.
Make a test before you start to translate.

Cheers
GG

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:24
English to Russian
+ ...
similar file today Feb 21, 2012

I cut English column and paste it in a new excel file.
Having translated the file I insert the translated column back in the copy of original file.

If you have tm from your client already translated segments will be translated by the Studio.

As simple as that.

[Edited at 2012-02-21 19:29 GMT]

Achim Herrmann
English to German
Special localization tools can handle these files easily Feb 22, 2012

Hello Henning,

bilingual or even multilingual Excel files are very common in software localization, especially for machinery software or small embedded devices.

This is why software localization tools like SDL Passolo are offering special Excel components that can handle these kind of files without the need of performing any pre-processing steps or conversions like proposed in this thread. Project setup and alignment of existing translations can be done in minutes. Translations will be written to a selectable column so that no post-processing has to done.

Achim Herrmann
SDL Passolo Business Consultant

French to Polish
+ ...
Price... Feb 22, 2012

Achim Herrmann wrote:

bilingual or even multilingual Excel files are very common in software localization, especially for machinery software or small embedded devices.

This is why software localization tools like SDL Passolo are offering special Excel components that can handle these kind of files without the need of performing any pre-processing steps or conversions like proposed in this thread. Project setup and alignment of existing translations can be done in minutes. Translations will be written to a selectable column so that no post-processing has to done.

Been here, did it

The problem is one must have a full Passolo version and the add-in which give far more than 2000 euro + VAT...

Cheers
GG

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What the... Feb 22, 2012

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Achim Herrmann wrote:

Been here, did it

The problem is one must have a full Passolo version and the add-in which give far more than 2000 euro + VAT...

Cheers
GG

Did this person from SDL seriously forget to mention the fact that you need to spend 2000 euros to get the functionality he was advertising?

By the way, the passolo version that I never wanted and that was installed on my computer alongside Studio automatically with no opt-out... is it usable for anything?

[Edited at 2012-02-22 16:10 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
Passolo Essentials... Feb 22, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Achim Herrmann wrote:

This is why software localization tools like SDL Passolo are offering special Excel components that can handle these kind of files without the need of performing any pre-processing steps or conversions like proposed in this thread. Project setup and alignment of existing translations can be done in minutes.

Well, in theory Wordfast Pro also does it in minutes without any special component
Not so flexible for multilingual projects but far cheaper.
With some easy CAT hopping even the demo version would do...

Translations will be written to a selectable column so that no post-processing has to done.

Been here, did it

Did this person from SDL seriously forget to mention the fact that you need to spend 2000 euros to get the functionality he was advertising?

Achim has no good choice.
If he says it costs only 2000+ euro, the people will say he's just kidding.
If he don't say it, they will say the same as you...

By the way, the passolo version that I never wanted and that was installed on my computer alongside Studio automatically with no opt-out... is it usable for anything?

Frankly speaking, no.
It's too castrated to be usable.
E.g. all the project updates are stripped out.
I've NEVER seen a 100% prepared localization project, the programmers always change something in the middle or even in the "last minute".
If you can't manage easily this kind of changes, the software is almost completely useless (unless you have a very small project) or is intended as an editor for satellite projects generated by "real" versions.
IMO Passolo Essentials is just a working demo, nothing more.
Or even less 'cause almost all the automation is gone...

PS
I used a lot Passolo up to the 2009 version, almost every day, and I think it's pretty cool if you're not in hurry, you have 2000+ euro to spend and you don't mean to attach Trados TMs/TBs...
Maybe the Passolo guys corrected it in the last version, I dunno, but it never worked in a stable way.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2012-02-22 17:43 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
OK Feb 22, 2012

Thanks for the info, Grzegorz.

Achim Herrmann
English to German
Some comments Feb 23, 2012

Hello,

I just want to clarify some things.

When you hire a paid craftsman that should repair your car or your house I assume that you are expecting that this guy is using professional tools and is trained to use these tools. Most people will agree that they will a problem in trusting a craftsman that uses combination pliers or a Swiss army knife only even if he is able to do the job. When purchasing tools in a hardware store you have to admit that special tools are expensive. Why do you complain about this economic fact when it is related to your own industry? Why do you complain about someone that is offering a good solution, even if it is not for free. That’s normal business.

It's (Passolo Essential) too castrated to be usable.

Yes, SDL Passolo Essential has a limited feature set, but it comes as a free add-on to SDL Trados Studio. The goal was to enable freelance translators to visually localize binaries with Windows or .NET resources while easily connecting to existing Studio TMs and termbases.

I've NEVER seen a 100% prepared localization project, the programmers always change something in the middle or even in the "last minute".

This statement is simply wrong. The project update feature is available in SDL Passolo Essential.

I used a lot Passolo up to the 2009 version, almost every day, and I think it's pretty cool if you're not in hurry, you have 2000+ euro to spend and you don't mean to attach Trados TMs/TBs...
Maybe the Passolo guys corrected it in the last version, I dunno, but it never worked in a stable way.

The interfaces to all the other SDL tools like Trados, Trados Studio, MultiTerm and their corresponding server components are available since 2005 and its working correctly. Please use the latest service releases. If it doesn’t work I would be happy to help you.

Achim Herrmann
SDL Passolo Business Consultant

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
To paraphrase Feb 23, 2012

Achim Herrmann wrote:

Hello,

When you hire a paid craftsman that should repair your car or your house I assume that you are expecting that this guy is using professional tools and is trained to use these tools. Most people will agree that they will a problem in trusting a craftsman that uses combination pliers or a Swiss army knife only even if he is able to do the job. When purchasing tools in a hardware store you have to admit that special tools are expensive. Why do you complain about this economic fact when it is related to your own industry? Why do you complain about someone that is offering a good solution, even if it is not for free. That’s normal business.

To paraphrase: "Yes, I did neglect to mention the fact that the solution I proposed costs 2000 EUR. It's true that the alternative solutions listed in this thread will achieve the same goal with a time investment of 15 minutes, without installing new software, but I thought I'd share the professional solution with you."

[Edited at 2012-02-23 13:31 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
Comments... Feb 23, 2012

Achim Herrmann wrote:

The problem is the scale.
I purchased a full Passolo license 'cause I had a regular customer who gave me a damn lot of work and I could afford it.
But pay 2000+ euro and purchase full Passolo for one small job is a nonsense.

It's (Passolo Essential) too castrated to be usable.

Yes, SDL Passolo Essential has a limited feature set, but it comes as a free add-on to SDL Trados Studio.

Well, the way you use the "free" notion is quite funny.
Can we get this free tool without Studio?

This statement is simply wrong. The project update feature is available in SDL Passolo Essential.

Sorry, you' re right.
I meant the Leverage version I used several times in binary localization projects based on existing data.
Nonetheless, the Essential version covers only very basic scenarios.
In the real life I don't use the Essential version, I simply don't remember exactly, sorry.

The interfaces to all the other SDL tools like Trados, Trados Studio, MultiTerm and their corresponding server components are available since 2005 and its working correctly. Please use the latest service releases. If it doesn’t work I would be happy to help you.

I said it clearly.
Maybe it works in the latest releases (I didn't upgrade to P2011) but the problem with the Trados connection was very frequent in the older builds.
I understand Multiterm which is fundamentally unstable but even T2006/T2007 connection used to hang rapidly e.g. during a batch pretranslation.
I simply developed some workarounds based on exported strings (function available only in full Passolo) and I'm pretty happy, cause usually the translation outside Passolo and the QA in Passolo are far faster then the pure Passolo workflow.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2012-02-23 13:39 GMT]

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Tool vendor's perspective ignores ROI completely Feb 23, 2012

Achim Herrmann wrote:

The translator in question has a professional tool at his disposal: Excel, in which the requested manipulation can be done in a couple of minutes (using the simple formula given above) - and much more. Alignment of the previously translated segments is done in a breeze, too. Of course that can be done using SDL products as well - if the time factor is not very important.

If a nut has to be tightened, there is nothing wrong with combination pliers or even a Swiss army knife. But I am curious to hear some arguments about the cost-effectiveness or ROI offered by Passolo (€2000) that are relevant in the current case, where the OP did not mention any other tasks that he would need a solution for (so, arguments like no harm in translating poetry with Studio are unlikely to impress me).

BTW, ASAP utilities provide excellent features for handling much more complex tasks with Excel.

Best,
Attila

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilingual Excel

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search