XML parsing in Passolo 2011 SP4
Thread poster: Marie-Eve Beland

Marie-Eve Beland
Local time: 22:06
English to French
Feb 21, 2012

Good morning all,
I have Passolo Essential 2011, and I am trying to open an xml file with it. The only parsers I see are Win32 and .Net, but I need the XML parser, which comes with the application (from what I read everywhere). What happens right now is that Passolo does not want to create the strings.
I really am at a loss. I've been reading for a whole day on what the application does, but nowhere can I find HOW to do it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks so much,
Marie-Ève

Achim Herrmann
Local time: 04:06
English to German
Not a feature in SDL Passolo Essential Feb 22, 2012

Hello Marie-Ève,

SDL Passolo Essential which is bundled with SDL Trados Studio has a limited feature set. You correctly recognized that the only parsers that are available are Win32 and .NET. In the SDL Passolo Forum you find some more information about the limitations.

XML parsing technology is NOT available in SDL Passolo Essential as SDL Trados Studio supports XML localization. Additional parsers (XML, text files, HTML, CHM, databases, Excel, MSI, PO, etc.) and the full feature set are of course available in the full versions of SDL Passolo that can be purchased.

Achim Herrmann
SDL Passolo Business Consultant

Marie-Eve Beland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Ah! It's all clear now! Feb 22, 2012

Thanks so much Achim for your answer.
I guess I'll use my Trados Studio then. If you have a minute to tell me in which case Passolo would be used then, I'd appreciate. I am trying to make the most of my SDL suite of products, but I have not found the context in which I should use Passolo yet. As a Technical communicator in the software industry and a Translator, I am pretty sure I could improve my workflow by using this product.
Thanks again, and have a great day!
Marie-Ève

Achim Herrmann
Local time: 04:06
English to German
Limited feature set Feb 23, 2012

Hello Marie-Ève,

SDL Passolo Essential has a limited feature set, it comes as a free add-on to SDL Trados Studio. The goal was to enable freelance translators to visually localize some binary files with Windows or .NET resources while easily connecting to existing Studio TMs and termbases.

I would never recommend to use it for larger software localization projects but it will definitely be useful to quickly localize some binaries. The full version will achieve extended requirements of software manufacturers in terms of supported files formats or automation needs.

Achim Herrmann
SDL Passolo Business Consultant

Marie-Eve Beland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the precisions Feb 23, 2012

Thank you very much Achim, now I get it!
It's very kind of you to take the time to answer my rookie questionsicon_wink.gif
Have a great day!
Marie-Ève

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML parsing in Passolo 2011 SP4

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search