Studio 2011: how do I retrieve only the most updated translations?
Thread poster: Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:10
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 22, 2012

Hi all!

When preparing the translation package, my client has the habit of stating a multiple translations penalty of 1. Unfortunately this decreases too much my productivity, because I have to scroll down among many different old and wrong translations that weren't done by me (I'm working on the project for only 2 years and their database is far older than that).

The question is that I already corrected lots of segments, but my translations are being retrieved always at second or third places and those old, wrong segments always come before. Please see the pic at:

The sentence to translate is: "The governor cup will be damaged". The first translation retrieved (as 99%+!!!) is: "O corpo do governador será danificado". Another translation, also 99%+, is "O copo do regulador ficará danificado". I did this translation in the past, this is right, but it has the same penalty as the one in first place, which is totally wrong.

Then, again: what should I do to retrieve at first place only the most updated translations?

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexandre Maricato
Local time: 00:10
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
Delete the old translations Feb 22, 2012

Have you tried to delete the wrong TUs? (Ctrl + Del) on my shortcuts.

Of course, this is a good option only if your TM is not updated by TMs sent by client, whcih may bring back the wrong translations.

Also, this is a manual task that may take some time. If someone knows a better way to do it, I would be glad to know as sometimes I have the same problem here.

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:10
English to French
+ ...
Apply Translation Feb 22, 2012

As far as I can see, I know other TMs let you apply newer entries. What you should do in your case is to select the entry you've edited, Apply Translation and Ctrl-Enter, this should overwrite any previous entry and fix the TM or as Alexandre suggested, export your TM as .tmx, search for the strings you want to get rid of, create a new TM and reimport the fixed .tmx, can be tedious if you have a large TM

[Edited at 2012-02-22 21:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: how do I retrieve only the most updated translations?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search