Message "Attempted to read or write protected memory." in Multiterm 2011 SP1
Thread poster: Jacqueline Kent
Jacqueline Kent  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:02
English to French
Feb 24, 2012

Hi everybody,

One of my terminology databases seems to be corrupt. It opens within Multiterm 2011 SP1 and I can search terms but I cannot add or edit terms. I get the following message: "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." Also I cannot use it within SDL Trados Studio 2011. Is there a way to repair this termbase?

Thank you in anticipation for your help.

Jacqueline

Direct link Reply with quote

Jakov Milicevic  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 22:02
Member (2010)
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Had the same problem with Studio Feb 24, 2012

Dear Jacqueline,
I had the same problem with Studio 2011 when upgraded from Studio 2009. Problem was recently solved by SDL releasing a patch.
Here is a link to download patch: ftp://leuvenftp.sdlintl.com/Article_4077/

I must inform you that I'm not sure if it works with Multiterm.

BR

English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I will try Feb 24, 2012

Thank you for your suggestion. As I bought Studio 2011 SP1 and Multiterm 2011 SP1 a few days ago, I assume the patch is included. And I have the problem with only one termbase. I will try to download this patch and let you know.

English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot download the patch Feb 24, 2012

I can't download this patch because I would need a username and a password. Anyway I am sure the patch is already included in my version as Multiterm is automatically updated every time I open it and is the latest. As this problem is with one termbase only, it is probably corrupt. I wanted to know if there was a way to repair it.

Thank you again for your help.

English to French
TOPIC STARTER
For information Feb 24, 2012

I solved the problem. I have exported the entries from my termbase into an .xml file then imported them back into a new termbase.

James Pelow  Identity Verified
Ireland
English to Irish
+ ...
A different way... Aug 22, 2012

I was having similar problems and I've managed to fix the issue in a different way.

Firstly, I had permissions set incorrectly on my Mac when I initially opened the termbase with Studio 2011. This seems to have caused the upgrade from a 2009 to a 2011 termbase to go wrong.

I fixed my permission problems, restored my 2009 termbase from my time machine backup and then used the 2009 termbase with Studio 2011 for the first time again. The upgrade process completed sucessfully and the "Attempted to read or write protected memory" error went, and term recognition started working again.

-jp

Bruce Campbell
Local time: 16:02
German to English
Trados could be having trouble rendering a font Oct 19, 2012

I had the same error message for months (or longer ??) and finally ran across the following SDL knowledge base article 4411 (posted by SDL on July 18, 2012):

Symptoms

When opening a file in SDL Trados Studio you receive the following error message:

Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Explanation

You may see this error in rare circumstances when opening a file in SDL Trados Studio that contains fonts that SDL Trados Studio cannot render properly. In this case you can turn off the WYSIWYG formatting display in Studio.

Resolution

The workaround for this issue is to change the Formatting display style in SDL Trados Studio to: Show all tags but do not show formatting.

1. Go to Tools > Options > Editor.
2. On the right-hand side in the Side-by-side Editor section go to Formatting display style.
3. Select the option Show all tags but do not show formatting
4. The file should now open in SDL Trados Studio without issues.

It worked for me. The problem occurred after I installed a special font from a client, and disappeared when I turned off WYSIWYG formatting.

Bruce Campbell
ASAP Language Services

[Edited at 2012-10-19 16:43 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Message "Attempted to read or write protected memory." in Multiterm 2011 SP1

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search