New to Trados Studio 2011...need some help asap!!!
Thread poster: PGarciaJones

PGarciaJones  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Feb 24, 2012

Hello,

I bought Studio 2011 a few months back and did a couple of basic online webinars to learn how to use it. However, as I've not had the need to do so until now and because I've been busy with other type of work, I am still very much a novice and rather baffled by the sheer amount of unfamiliar functions and features that it has.

I have been sent a test piece to complete by Monday morning using TRADOS and I've spent all afternoon trying to adjust the settings and get to grips with how it works. I've been sent a zip file containing various files in different formats: htm.ttx, .ini, xml.ttx, .pdf and .xlxs

My questions are:

Is this a package? If so, how do I save it as a package and where in order to open it using Trados?

I've been told to be careful with Trados tags as they will be reviewed. I am not sure what they mean and how to go about this...any help/guidance would be much appreciated. I have been reading pages and pages of instructions but I am finding it all quite confusing.

Many thanks in advance.

Paula

Alina - Maria Chiteala  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 12:25
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TTX Feb 24, 2012

ttx file are for TAGeditor but as I understood these files can be translated in Trados 2011 but in case of XML files with INI file attached the tags go crazy in Trados 2011 so you will need to use TagEditor and Workbench, i.e. Trados 2007
I think the files with other extensions are only for reference

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:25
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not true Feb 24, 2012

Alina - Maria Chiteala wrote:

ttx file are for TAGeditor but as I understood these files can be translated in Trados 2011 but in case of XML files with INI file attached the tags go crazy in Trados 2011 so you will need to use TagEditor and Workbench, i.e. Trados 2007
I think the files with other extensions are only for reference

This is not true. You can update the ini file and use it in Studio, then no tags will go crazy. Or you can create a TTX in TagEditor with the INI and translate the ttx in Studio.

tvtruc
Vietnam
Local time: 16:25
English to Vietnamese
It's not a package Feb 25, 2012

I don't think it's a package. A package should be a file with .sdlppx extension. If it is a package you can open it by just double clicking on the file on Windows.

For a lot of files, you could create a project with these files and merge them so that you can translate them as one file. I find it a lot quicker than translating them individually.

For tags, you don't need to worry about it too much because Studio can verify tags for missing, added tags, etc. You just need to set it right.

PGarciaJones  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you...I think I've got it Feb 25, 2012

I have now saved the files as a project and it seems that it is only one file that needs translating. From what I understand, the tags need to remain the same. The instructions state that I need to run Tag Verify in Tag Editor. Do any of you know what this means?

Once the translation is finished, do I save it and send it as a single attachment?

Thanks once again.

Paula

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to Trados Studio 2011...need some help asap!!!

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search