Populating new TM with bilingual Word files
Thread poster: mame1070

mame1070  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:41
English to French
Feb 24, 2012

Hi,

I just bought Studio 2011. I wanted to populate my TM using bilingual files that are in Word format. I need assistance. I read about using SDLXLIFFConverter. I installed it on my machine and right now trying to figure out how it work.

Thanks,

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:41
English
No converter needed here.. Feb 24, 2012

Hi,

Just create a project based on the language pairs of your translated bilingual word files. Add all the bilingual word files to it (if there are thousands maybe split them up to bite sized chunks) and then update your new Translation Memory using the Batch Tasks set to update all draft and translated segments;

This is assuming you are happy with all the content of your bilingual word files of course.

Regards

Paul

mame1070  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:41
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Tracked changes error messages Feb 28, 2012

Hi Paul,

Thanks for you prompt answer. I run into another issue.
Created a new project, added a couple of Word 2000-2003 files and had an errror message about track changes while I am sure I accepted all changes in the documents.

Thanks,

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:41
English
Can happen.. Feb 29, 2012

Hi,

Word doesn't always remove all the tracked changes even when it says it does (you can verify this by converting to docx and see the tracked changes still in the documents.xml) so there are two ways around this.

First follow the process in this KB exactly and this usually resolves the problem http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3253&p=1

Next make sure you have this option checked in the filetype options

Hopefully one of these will resolve your issue.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Populating new TM with bilingual Word files

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search