Chris Dravers  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:43
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 26, 2012

Hello

This is a follow-up to a previous post on the same issue. My problem is the following: When I try to create a target document I get the error message "error saving target content. error while converting to word document". I have tried restarting the computer. No good. I have tried running verify (F8) and corrected tags, it tells me its 100% correct and that there are no errors. Still no good. I have tried looking for the QA 3.0 to run it, but I can't find it. When I click on verify nothing about a QA checker appears. Am I looking in the wrong place? I have also tried to save the file as RTF but it doesn't give me that option in the editor view or in the project view. I would be grateful to anyone who could set me straight on this. Thanks in advance. Chris.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
My problem is... Feb 26, 2012

your Trados version.
You did not find it worth mentioning, which is indeed a pity, as you assume us all here to have a crystal ball somewhere and be able to guess everything... Really I wonder why so many people seeking help do not even care to try to provide the necessary information...
So far on the side note.

As the error message looks like it would come from Studio, I continue with this assumption.
When the file is open for translation, are you able to get the source preview? If so, than the problem is bigger and I am not sure if I can help.
If not, the problem is quite clear and the source file is already corrupted. In this case please open the file in Word, using the Open&Repair option. Then save in a different Word version, preferably DOCX, or if this is not possible RTF. In the latter case close Word, reopen it, open the RTF and save again as Word.
Use this new file in Studio for a translation with the TM from previous file. However, before you invest time in translating the file first test, if you are able to save it as target.

Should this not help, use OpenOffice to open the file and save as Word again. In most cases this helps.

Please tell us, if that worked.

Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried your suggestion and it did not work Feb 27, 2012

Dear Jerry

Yes, it's Studio 2009 and I'm sorry for omitting that information.

I tried what you said, I initially tried viewing the source document: error. So I opened the source document in open and repair, saved it as rtf, closed it, opened it again and saved it as docx again. I opened it in trados and it imported the file, but when I tried to save as target I got the same error message again.

C

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Could you as last ressort please try to use DOCX instead? Feb 27, 2012

And to open the DOCX in Studio?
If all doesn't work, please send me the translated SDLXLIFF and the original source file to jerzy at czopik dot com, I shall try to repair that.

Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same result Feb 27, 2012

Jerry

I tried it and had the same result so I have in reply to your kind offer sent you the two files.

Best

Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

error converting to word

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search