Trados Studio 2011 starts up slowly
Thread poster: Sandor Juhasz

Sandor Juhasz
Local time: 21:26
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Feb 27, 2012

It takes some 100 seconds for Trados Studio 2011 (SP1) to start. "Automatically check for updates when the application starts" under Options is uncecked.

All other applications work fine.

Is there any solution for this problem? Thanks in advance.

HarryHedgehog
Germany
German to English
Enough RAM? Fast enough CPU? Feb 27, 2012

Trados applications have a history of launching slowly since back in the good old days of the Translator's Workbench. Having said that, this could be due to any number of reasons.

What is your system setup? Do you have a fast enough processor and enough RAM to keep your PC from paging when you start up the program? Do you have enough space on your hard drive and have you defragged it recently?

Are you running a 32-bit or 64-bit OS?

[Edited at 2012-02-27 11:23 GMT]

Sandor Juhasz
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Enough RAM and fast CPU Feb 27, 2012

Trados Studio is running under Windows 7 64-bit with Intel Core i5 3.3 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, 41 GB free space on HDD, defragmented yesterday.

[Módosítva: 2012-02-27 16:17 GMT]

HarryHedgehog
Germany
German to English
Do you have a lot of projects? Feb 27, 2012

Your system sounds like it should be fast enough to cope. Have you tried opening the Task Manager and observing the system behavior during the launch process?

Also, do you have a large number of old projects in your project overview? I've read that that can slow down the startup process quite a bit.

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
I think that's the way it is Feb 27, 2012

Your PC is fine. It's just that Studio 2009/2011 is indeed slow to start. When it has started, it works with reasonable speed, but loading takes a bit even with Java start and auto-update turned off.

Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
I agree with you! Feb 27, 2012

Artem Vakhitov wrote:

Your PC is fine. It's just that Studio 2009/2011 is indeed slow to start. When it has started, it works with reasonable speed, but loading takes a bit even with Java start and auto-update turned off.

I agree with you, Artem. I have a PC with 2.4 GHz core 2 duo and 8 GB for RAM and I use windows 7 64bit as OS. SDL Trados Studio 2009 takes a while to start.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:26
Finnish to French
Some points of comparison Feb 27, 2012

Sandor Juhasz wrote:
It takes some 100 seconds for Trados Studio 2011 (SP1) to start. "Automatically check for updates when the application starts" under Options is uncecked.

Here is the time it takes to launch various tools on my (freshly rebooted) system (Core2 Duo 1.4 GHz, 8 GB of RAM, 128 GB SSD, 64-bit Win 7 Pro):

memoQ translator pro 5.0.59: 12 seconds
Wordfast Pro 3.0: 15 seconds
Studio 2011 (10.1.2870.2): 32 seconds
Studio 2009 (9.1.2307.8): 37 seconds

I don't find it surprising it takes three times longer on a system with a conventional hard drive (as opposed to an SSD).

HarryHedgehog
Germany
German to English
Then my system must be really fast Feb 28, 2012

I run a quad-core i7 (don't know the exact clock speed) with 8 GB of RAM and an OCZ Agility 3 128 GB SSD, and my Studio 2011 takes 7 seconds to launch.

To paraphrase Jay-Z, "I got 99 problems with Studio 2011, but the launch speed ain't one."

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Same as Harry Feb 28, 2012

Around 7 seconds and no SSD, clock speed @ 2.00GHz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011 starts up slowly

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search