Review outside Studio 2011 - reality or myth?
Thread poster: Tom Fennell

Tom Fennell
United States
Local time: 14:13
Member (2010)
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 27, 2012

Dear ProZites,

Studio 11 promises the following:

Review outside Studio – With a simple and free add-on send MS Word files to subject matter experts who can review the files which can then be imported back into Studio, with all the comments and changes highlighted.

In other words the much longed-for export and import to/from dual-column Word format.

I eagerly went to the SDL site, found SDL Open Exange, dug through the dozens of all the unsorted add-ons to find SDL XLIFF Converter for MS Office, only to install it and learn that it is only for Studio 2009.

Am I missing something?

Couldn't SDL provide a LINK to the add-on in their advertising???

Grrr......

[Edited at 2012-02-27 16:59 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:13
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you have Studio 2011 installed on your PC? Feb 27, 2012

If so, did you explore the content of Studio program group?
If not, install and use it.

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter Feb 27, 2012

Hi Tom,

I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly if you want to export bilingual Word files, if so download the above. If you want to review Word files, use the Track Changes feature in Studio 2011.

HTH,

Bernard

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Indeed... Feb 27, 2012

Tom Fennell wrote:

Dear ProZites,

Studio 11 promises the following:

Review outside Studio – With a simple and free add-on send MS Word files to subject matter experts who can review the files which can then be imported back into Studio, with all the comments and changes highlighted.

In other words the much longed-for export and import to/from dual-column Word format.

I eagerly went to the SDL site, found SDL Open Exange, dug through the dozens of all the unsorted add-ons to find SDL XLIFF Converter for MS Office, only to install it and learn that it is only for Studio 2009.

Am I missing something?

Couldn't SDL provide a LINK to the add-on in their advertising???

Grrr......

[Edited at 2012-02-27 16:59 GMT]

Hi Tom,

This app was made available as part of the installation of Studio 2011 so you'll find it in the program group as Jerzy noted.

There another app that might also be useful for you... this one is good for reviewing in TagEditor or Word as a proper bilingual document and also with the capability of import back.

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=194

This one doesn't support tracked changes in the way the SDLXLIFF Converter does... but I know the developer is working on thisicon_wink.gif

Regards

Paul

Tom Fennell
United States
Member (2010)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul! Feb 27, 2012

I thought Jerzy was referring to the Studio area on the website. I never expected there to already be an Open Exchange Program Group installed on my PC.

I'll keep my eye on that space!

English to French
+ ...
Legacy Junk Feb 27, 2012

I'd like to know why so many people are still interested in using legacy S/W when so many new features are available - almost defeats the purpose of upgrading - why stick to stuff that's been obsolete for years, beats me!

Tom Fennell
United States
Member (2010)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't throw out your legacy! ;) Feb 28, 2012

Dear Bernard,

The answer is quite simple old chap.

I am a legal translator. One of my dearest direct clients, a global law firm, threw a 6 page letter addressed to this law firm's client from a Russian health department requesting prices on a long list of very sophisticated and of course extremely expensive cardiology equipment. All in Russian of course.

I needed to help my client, but I wanted to pass on that letter like a hot potato.

I have the perfect resource in my pocket: an MD who is also a translator from Russian! And indeed, he did a much, much better job translating the list than I ever could have.

His only shortcoming is that he is a 75 year old fuddy-duddy part-timer who will likely never learn a CAT tool, and certainly not at my bidding.

I dutifully OCRd the pdf for him and gave him an exquisitely formatted Russian .doc file. However, keeping the formatting seems to have been quite a challenge for him, or he may have re-created the document. The English file he returned was a disaster of multiple tab keys and 10 paragraph returns to center a number in a table cell. I had to spend an hour restoring my usual exquisite formatting.

It would be much better for him and (more important) me, to send him a dual language .doc file that I can re-import into Trados. Then we can both forget about the torture of formatting complex documents.

Legacy tools for legacy intellectual assets - do you agree?

[Edited at 2012-02-28 02:39 GMT]

English to French
+ ...
Point Taken Feb 28, 2012

Hi Tom,

Indeed, makes sensein your scenario.

Bernard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Review outside Studio 2011 - reality or myth?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search