Problems with Studio 2011 settings after downloading SP1
Thread poster: PGarciaJones

PGarciaJones  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Feb 27, 2012

Hi,

I am new to Trados (I've got Studio 2011) and have been trying to get to grips with it in the last few days as it looks like I will need to use it soon for an upcoming project.

I have watched several video tutorials and followed the start-up guides to the letter after downloading SP1 as requested. However, and after several failed attempts at creating a new termbase and importing one through the Termbase Wizard (from what I've read, I should be able to get the SDL Multiterm 2001 SP1 and SDL Multiterm IX (version 6.x), I keep getting the following error message: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". I've done a search online but this error is quoted on many instances but not on this one in particular. Any idea as to how to resolve it?

Also, I have tried to download the Autosuggest Dictionary English-Spanish from SDL downloads page. I get a WinRAR folder with a bpm file but when I try to save it, I get the following message: "Cannot create eu-en-es-en-us-es.bpm. Access is denied". Any assistance or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Paula

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:25
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
MT iX was never a part of Studio Feb 27, 2012

PGarciaJones wrote:

Hi,

I am new to Trados (I've got Studio 2011) and have been trying to get to grips with it in the last few days as it looks like I will need to use it soon for an upcoming project.

I have watched several video tutorials and followed the start-up guides to the letter after downloading SP1 as requested. However, and after several failed attempts at creating a new termbase and importing one through the Termbase Wizard (from what I've read, I should be able to get the SDL Multiterm 2001 SP1 and SDL Multiterm IX (version 6.x), I keep getting the following error message: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". I've done a search online but this error is quoted on many instances but not on this one in particular. Any idea as to how to resolve it?

Neither is MT 2001, but I think you are referring to MT2011...
What kind of attempts were those? What was the source format of the termbase conversion?
And finally which application gives you the mentioned error?

Also, I have tried to download the Autosuggest Dictionary English-Spanish from SDL downloads page. I get a WinRAR folder with a bpm file but when I try to save it, I get the following message: "Cannot create eu-en-es-en-us-es.bpm. Access is denied". Any assistance or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Paula

Did you try to download it again? Errors like this one with archive files are mostly a problem of not fully downloaded files.

English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Problems still unresolved Feb 28, 2012

Hi Jerzy,

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure about the source format. I followed the instructions on the Termbase Wizard to create a new termbase (not to convert one or import one) and although I was able to name it and save it, when it came to finalizing the process, I got the error message. I was referring to MT2011. The only termbase that I seem to be able to access is the Printer default one but I cannot get term recognition to work.

I have tried to download Autosuggest on many occasions and I always seem to do it but when I try to save the WINrar file on the computer using the "extract to" option, I get the message that access is denied.

Do you think I should contact SDL directly?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry to hear this Feb 28, 2012

But unfortunately I cannot help.
The problems you describe are beyond my knowledge.
However, the inability to extract an archived file is a severe operating system problem I think. And it has nothing in common with SDL Studio. So there might be a serious issue with your computer. I would check it for viruses or have a technician a look on it.

English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks...will seek advice from SDL Feb 28, 2012

Thanks Jerzy,

I have been able to extract other files sent to me in this format so I am not sure about where the problem lies. I hope that someone from SDL will be able to assist me with this.

Regards,

Paula

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
FTP... Feb 28, 2012

Hi Paula,

Drop me an email and I'll make the ASD available to you via FTP after checking it myself.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with Studio 2011 settings after downloading SP1

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search