Converting many legacy tmw memories to tmx 1.4b without exporting from Workbench
Thread poster: Daniel McCosh

Daniel McCosh
Germany
Local time: 23:53
German to English
Feb 29, 2012

Hi,

I have around a hundred Trados translation memories with thousands of segments in TMW format that I'd like to convert to TMX for backup/conversion without having to export each memory individually in Workbench (Trados 2007).

Is there an easy way to do this without me reinventing the wheel? Any suggestions of AutoIT, VBS or perl scripts are very welcome.

I'd be extremely grateful for any help.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
If you have Studio... Mar 1, 2012

... then you can upgrade them all in one go and merge into a single SDLTM. Then you can export to TMX either through Studio or using one of the OpenExchange Applications available for this:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=187

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=187

Regards

Paul

Daniel McCosh
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Seperate TMX files for each TM? Mar 1, 2012

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your tireless support, that certainly is an option!

However, I'd like to create an individual TMX file for each TM.

Do you have any ideas?

Kind regards,
Daniel

United Kingdom
English
Same process... Mar 1, 2012

Hi Daniel,

You still use the upgrade TM route, but choose the option to create a new SDLTM for each TM you upgrade.... also make sure you keep the temporary TMX files created aong the way and you will end up with a TMX and an SDLTM for each TM.

Regards

Paul

Daniel McCosh
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ever so much... Mar 2, 2012

That was really helpful, thank you!

Kind regards,
Daniel

Vladimir Vasek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Keeping tmporary tmx files Mar 2, 2012

Hi,
How do you keep temporary tmx files? Is it an option to check before converting?
Thanks
Vladimir

United Kingdom
English
Temporary TMX Files Mar 4, 2012

Vladimirvv wrote:
Hi,
How do you keep temporary tmx files? Is it an option to check before converting?
Thanks
Vladimir

Hi,

Yes it is. When you start the upgrade you tell Studio where to put the files:

Then at the end you are asked if you want to delete them or not:

Say no and you have your TMX files available.

Regards

Paul

Vladimir Vasek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Nice Mar 4, 2012

Thank you Paul, it never occured to me that you can batch create tmx files from workbench TMs. I was already prepared to spare several hours (if not days) of my precious time and do it manualy. I'm quite glad i don't need to:-)

Vladimir

Daniel McCosh
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Another idea for those without Studio... Mar 27, 2012

There are several PHP and Perl scripts out there for converting .tmw to .tmx effectively without wasting time -- take a look at the Workbench API for inspiration. However, some scripts that you can find online are buggy and not worth testing.

I used SDL Studio to solve my problem which was really easy thanks to Paul's instructions.

I was asked via e-mail if such an option exists for Trados 2007.

If you have Trados 2007 and like messing about with macros, here is a quick and dirty solution:

http://www.openlingua.de/ol/software/tmexports.html

I took a quick peek and it worked for me. Try it out and let me know if you have any problems. I prefer doing this kind of work without VB/VBA (it's faster and keeps me from growing more grey hair).

Kind regards,
Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting many legacy tmw memories to tmx 1.4b without exporting from Workbench

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search