Cannot open Studio Trados 2009 - root element is missing
Thread poster: Stuart Healey
Stuart Healey  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:46
Japanese to English
Feb 29, 2012

Hello everyone,

While I was translating a file in Trados Studio 2009, the program suddenly crashed and now I can't open it all. When I try to open it, I get the following window:

Error
An unexpected error has occurred while loading the application plug-ins
Root element is missing

When I expand "Root element is missing", the following information is displayed:

Type System.XML XmlException, System.Xml, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Line Number 0
Line Position
SourceUri file///C:/Users/Stuart/AppData/Roaming/SDL/SDL Trados Studio/9.1.0.0/plugiincache.xml

HelpLink

Source System.Xml

Sorry, the above might be too much information. By the way, I am running Windows 7 and this is the first time, this has happened. I have no idea what prompted it.

If anyone can help me as soon as possible, I would be extremely grateful. I have about 1 day of work in there, which I hadn't got around to converting to word. Deadline is tomorrow!

I am not great at computers, so any advice in simple English would be greatly appreciated!

If nobody can help, please could you tell me SDL's support tel. no., because I've been looking for it on the website and I'm damned if I can find it.

Thanks very much in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved (maybe...) Mar 1, 2012

Did a bit more digging around for previous queries similar to this one, and found a response from Jerzy Czopik who said: "just delete the file mentioned in the error message". Which I then did, and now I can open Trados Studio and access my work.

Thank you very much Mr. Czopik.

By the way, will deleting this file, namely "C:/Users/*****/AppData/Roaming/SDL/SDL Trados Studio/9.1.0.0/plugiincache.xml"
cause any unseen damage under the bonnet? Is this file really necessary?

If anybody could throw any light on this, it would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:46
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You loose your user settings Mar 1, 2012

The software and its functionality is not affected.
Some settings (sorry, I do not know exactly which) get lost.
A good way to keep the most important settings is to export a user profile (Tools - Manage user profiles).
In the future you can then import it and thus have your shortcuts and main settings back.

Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Mar 1, 2012

Thanks for getting back to me Jerzy.

As per your advice, I'll take a look at exporting a user profile.

Have a great day!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Thank you for looking Mar 1, 2012

Well, you have done what many users never do - you just used the search and thus found the information you needed.
I would really wish other would follow your example and use the solutions already provided.
Unfortunately you were the only one topic poster in the not so recent past, who searched for the solution and found it. The others just waited for the solution to be posted again and again.

Many thanks and have a good day too

barrymurphy
German to English
This worked for me too Oct 3, 2012

Thanks Jerry and Stuart! I had the same problem and your solution worked for me as well. Thanks for the help. Thank God for forums like these, seeing as SDL won't provide any support (unless you're prepared to pay extra for it, of course).

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Thank god indeed..! Oct 3, 2012

Barry Murphy wrote:

Thank God for forums like these, seeing as SDL won't provide any support (unless you're prepared to pay extra for it, of course).

Interesting that SDL Support have posted more than double the number of responses than anyone else using this forum this year already... but we'll be asking for our money at xmas

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open Studio Trados 2009 - root element is missing

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search