Unmerging/splitting merged sdlxliff files in Studio 2011
Thread poster: Vladimir Vasek

Vladimir Vasek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 04:59
English to Czech
Mar 1, 2012

Hi everyone,

I got a Trados Studio 2011 project/package consisting of 600 sdlxliff files. The files were not merged by the agency which makes the project very hard and slow to process and which means that it is impossible to make the files consistent. The agency is not willing to rework the package and have the files merged.

For that reason I created a new project with the files from the delivered package (source folder), merged the files, translated a few segments to give it a try and then tried to finalize the project to get individual files out of it (unmerge or split if you want). Then I would use those files and replace files in the target folder of the original package with them.

And here comes my problem.
Studio throws 600 errors when finalizing the project saying that the original files could not be found. As it turned out, by original files it does not mean the original sdlxliff files from the delivered package (files I'm interested in) but files which the original sdlxliff files have been created from (source files that I obviously don't and can't have).

Put simply, I did not figure out how to unmerge/split the project. I tried just everything the Studio offers, but to no avail. It always ignores the original sdlxliff files and tries to directly generate the source files.

It is really annoying behavior that drives me mad.

Please help, is there any solution or workaround that would help me to achieve this task?
Also please note that using a TM created when translating the merged files and applying it to original sdlxliff files is not an option at all, so please do not mention it. This TM contains a lot of duplicate entries with different translations and I also need to keep information about the segment origin.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Regards
Vladimir

Direct link Reply with quote

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:59
English to Spanish
A lot of duplicate entries with different translations Mar 2, 2012

Vladimirvv wrote:

Also please note that using a TM created when translating the merged files and applying it to original sdlxliff files is not an option at all, so please do not mention it. This TM contains a lot of duplicate entries with different translations and I also need to keep information about the segment origin.
Vladimir

Tough one.

I hope at least you are not being punished with discounts for all those fake repetitions!

In cases like yours, the repetitions not only are not helping you, they are actually working against you!

Man, my heart goes out to you.

Hopefully somebody will be able to give you some useful advice.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Why not use the TM from... Mar 2, 2012

... your merged project to pretranslate the files in your unmerged Project? I think this would be far safer than attempting to replace files and mess around with the package.

However, if you are determined to replace the files why not look in the target language folder? They were sdlxliff to start with so they will all be there and you could just copy them. They should all be there in addition to the single merged file.

One other thing... you mentioned there are 600 files in the project. This suggests they are probably smaller files, so maybe xml? If so it's quite possible there was a filetype in the package that was needed to create target files that you don't have and finalizing the project will also try to generate the target files.

Regards

Paul

Czech Republic
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
Using TM means uncertain results Mar 2, 2012

To Paul:

As I said, the TM contains duplicate entries (one source and multiple translations). It is an online TM on a server that is being populated by many translators - hence the duplicates. You also sometimes need to use different translation depending on context and so on. Another thing is, that the files contain locked context matches I'm not allowed to touch. These CM matches are not translated properly but their transation gets reflected to the project TM as well. Some of the files have identical segments that are not locked context matches and must be translated, but differently. The result is, that you have no idea how the Studio automaticly pretranslates segments in your 600 files. This means that you have to manualy check all 600 files, read it through and correct.
So again, using TM is not an option at all.

What do you mean by "look in the target language folder"? Of course I looked there. As I said, Studio won't split the merged file so the individual sdlxliff files in the target language folder are untouched/untranslated. They are identical with files in the source folder.

One other thing... it's a Studio 2011 package. Studio 2011 as opposed to Studio 2009 doesn't include filetypes with projects any more. Even if it did, it wouldn't change anything.

I just need to finalize my project so that the merged file is split to the individual files it was created from. How do I do that?
Please help
Vladimir

ClemRg
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Seem to remember similar case Mar 2, 2012

Paul. I seem to remember a similar case I had. You have a project sent to you without the source files. You take the SDLXLIFFs and create your own project. So the "source files" of your project are SDLXLIFF files. Yet when trying to "Save Target as" SDLXLIFF, Studio is still expeting to find the original source files of the SDLXLIFFs.
Can't remember if this was 2009 or 2011, though!
I guess this is what Vladimir is referring to.

Vladimir, did you try "Save Source as" to recreate the source ... you will have to do this 600 times, though, as there is not Batch Task...

Clemens

Czech Republic
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
I tried just everything Mar 2, 2012

ClemRg wrote:

Vladimir, did you try "Save Source as" to recreate the source ... you will have to do this 600 times, though, as there is not Batch Task...

Clemens

Yes, i did. The same as before, it wants to save it to the very original format (xlf in this case), not to the original sdlxliff (which is a very original format from my point of view).

Atso Puronen
Local time: 05:59
English to Finnish
Edit your SDLXLIFFs Mar 2, 2012

That's because the SDLXLIFF contains information about the original file, just like TTXs do.

If you feel adventurous you should take a look inside your .sdlxliff files.

Search this:
<file original="I:\path\to\original.xml" source-language="en-US" datatype="x-sdlfilterframework2" target-language="fi-FI">

And replace it with:
<file original="I:\path\to\original.sdlxliff" source-language="en-US" datatype="x-sdlfilterframework2" target-language="fi-FI">

If it doesn't work, try emptying the entry:
<file original="" source-language="en-US" datatype="x-sdlfilterframework2" target-language="fi-FI">

See if that works. Haven't tried it.

Atso Puronen
Local time: 05:59
English to Finnish
Message to your agency... Mar 2, 2012

And a message to your agency: "Don't be so stupid."

It should be obvious for them that merging the files for you would save valuable translation time. I can't see any valid reason for them not to merge the files for you other than stupidity and laziness.

Many issues in this world could be solved with fairly easy remedies if correct people would listen and do their job. You agency clearly doesn't understand the implications they are causing you and the translation quality/consistency. I really feel bad for you.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
Yes I am adventurous Mar 2, 2012

Atso, thanks for the useful comment.

This was the first thing that occured to me, but I did not have time to try it.

Now, when I already finished my tedious work and returned it to the agency I tried to replace all paths in source sdlxliff files with my local path and with the sdlxliff extension. Then I created a new project with merged files, made some changes and finalized it. And bingo, it worked as a charm.

Then I took the target files, reverted my changes to paths and extensions, and put them back to the project package. Opened the package, checked the files and created return packages. No problems.

All this stuff took me around 5 minutes of extra time. By working with unmerged files before I lost several days of useless work.

My estimate is that with merged files the work would demand 1/5 or less of the time I spent with unmerged files.

Now I must figure out, how to automate it. This is very prone to mistakes.
I personaly do not understand why SDL incorporated this bug to Studio. It must be realy simple for a skilled programmer to correct it in a matter of minutes.

Thanks again

Vladimir

Czech Republic
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
Is SDL support monitoring this topic? Mar 5, 2012

Please, this is quite an important issue to solve. Is SDL aware of it? Can someone from the support team answer this?

Many thanks in advance

Vladimir

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Apologies... Mar 6, 2012

Hello Vladimir,

I thought I had responded to this over the weekend... but clearly the message didn't post for some reason.

I spent some time last week trying to make this work or find a sensible workaround because despite my earlier postings, once I looked in more detail I found the same problem as you. I think this usecase didn't come up in testing, although given you can't merge files after the project is created there is a clear need for it as you have shown here.

Development are aware of this and the work to resolve this is on the product backlog. I can't give you a date for this to be resolved, I can only tell you it is on the radar for product management.

Regards

Paul

Czech Republic
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
Yesterday was too late Mar 6, 2012

Hello Paul,
this is definitely a good news, although it should have been done a long time ago.
Anyway, please keep on pushing so that this issue is solved ASAP.

Many thanks

Vladimir

Antonio Carlos Plais do Couto  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:59
English to Portuguese
A feasible solution for multi-file projects (while SDL don't fix this issue) Sep 28, 2012

I've had the same problem and found this workaround (for TRADOS 2011 server packages):

1 – import the multifile package and say YES when TRADOS asks if you wish to merge the files
2 – add a local TM file to the project
3 – work in this merged file as you are used to do
4 – when finished (100% translation done) save the file and update the main TMs

5 – import the package again, but this time say NO for the file merge. Save in a different folder
6 - add the same local TM you created in step 2
7 – apply batch pre-translation to all files
8 – if everything goes right, you should have a nice 100% translated package with individual files. Cross check before continuing...
9 – build the return package

I haven't tried something similar with regular packages.

I hope this helps.

Antonio Plais

Lars Hoej  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Merge/Split Oct 23, 2012

Antonio Carlos Plais do Couto wrote:

I've had the same problem and found this workaround (for TRADOS 2011 server packages):

1 – import the multifile package and say YES when TRADOS asks if you wish to merge the files
2 – add a local TM file to the project
3 – work in this merged file as you are used to do
4 – when finished (100% translation done) save the file and update the main TMs

5 – import the package again, but this time say NO for the file merge. Save in a different folder
6 - add the same local TM you created in step 2
7 – apply batch pre-translation to all files
8 – if everything goes right, you should have a nice 100% translated package with individual files. Cross check before continuing...
9 – build the return package

I haven't tried something similar with regular packages.

I hope this helps.

Antonio Plais

Thank you! It works just great. This was not a package, just a number of SDLXLIFF files I merged and couldn't split.
Everything comes out 100% with no errors.

Kind regards,
Lars

Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
What is the status of this bug? May 31, 2013

I would greatly need this feature to function properly, unfortunately the workaround proposed is not viable in many cases (Perfect Matches, locked segments, track changes…)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unmerging/splitting merged sdlxliff files in Studio 2011

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search