Thread poster: Birthe Omark

Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:36
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
Mar 2, 2012

I have received a word document, I have previously translated (300+ pages) to update with a new addition (1000 words (?) throughout the document).

The document is in Danish, the updates are in French and added using Word's track & trace function. The job was translated in 2009 using TagEditor /2007).

I have started out simply translating within the document - the old fashioned way - but it seems long winded. Particular as I have to think about the actual terms used then (when there are obvious synonyms ..) and seraching in the target file is pure guesswork.

As the track changes function is on, Trados (or studio 2009) will of course not accept the file... But is there a way to run the job through Studio so that i can ensure sticking to the terms previously used.... ?

An alternative is of course to open the old job, and search there, when needed...

there might be a better trick, though. (However, considering that there are juste 1000 words, it may not be worth it this time?).

Kind regards.
Birthe

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Just a suggestion... Mar 2, 2012

Hi,

You could make a copy of the file, then accept all the changes in it so you have the French text (I'm assuming you are translating French to Danish?). Then use the hidden text feature in Word to hide all the Danish text.

When you open the file in Studio you will only have the French text shown for translation.

Of course I don't know how complicated it would be to manually select all the Danish text and hide it, but perhaps this is a useful idea?

Regards

Paul

Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
simple, Dr. Watson! Mar 2, 2012

Thank you Paul. This is of course the most evident way.. I never think about the 'hidden text feature'.

Kind regards,
Thank you.
Birthe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Update /new translations word document

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search