Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Extra number in target segment or number is missing in target segment/ not properly localized Error
Thread poster: yaal
yaal
Local time: 19:10
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 3, 2012

Hi people
Coudl you please help? I am working in Trados 2009 and was trying to save a translated document (save target as) the following errors occurred "extra number in target segment" and number is missing in target segment or not properly localized"

Any solutions for that?

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:10
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Check the translation Mar 3, 2012

with "Verify" option (F8) and correct the errors.

yaal
Local time: 19:10
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It does not help Mar 5, 2012

Even if I copy a source segment to a target segment it still says that there is an error.

Sergey Inaekyan
Local time: 17:10
English to Russian
+ ...
Adjust your Verifier Apr 21, 2012

You must adjust your Verifier:
Tools>Options>Verification>QA Checker 3.0>Numbers etc.
HTH

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:10
English to German
+ ...
sdl 2009 number in target segment is correct but I get error message Aug 28, 2013

Sergey Inaekyan wrote:

You must adjust your Verifier:
Tools>Options>Verification>QA Checker 3.0>Numbers etc.
HTH

German source: 129. Ausgabe
English target: 129th edition

target format is correct but I still get the error message
number is missing in target segment or not properly localized. It says it found an extra period but the period/dot after 129 is not used in English.

Here are the two lines:

German source: 129. Ausgabe von Wussten Sie, dass ....
English target: 129th edition of Did you know that ....

SDL support could you help?

Thank you.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Related to number recognition Aug 28, 2013

Hi Bernhard,

It's because Studio sees 129th as an alphanumeric string rather than a number which it found in the source. If you do it the other way around you'll see that 129th is not picked up as a recognised way to write this unless you use superscript and then the number is recognised.

I don't know what's correct linguistically here, but as you may know we use the rules in your operating system that are here : http://goo.gl/LM2UlH

So if you want to check for these you have two options... actually one option but the two choices are leave number recognition switched on or turn it off.

Then, you create a custom verification rule to check the number and it's appropriate conversion. Like this:

RegEx Source
(\d+)\.

RegEx Target
$1th

Condition
Grouped Search Expression - report if source matches but not target

Thanks to another user for pointing out that back references do work in Studio verification... so I guess creating a rule for numbers in general would not be a bad idea and turning off the number check altogether. This way you maintain quite a high degree of flexibility if the numbers don't get recognised, or they are recognised incorrectly according to the rules you are using for localisation.

Regards

Paul

United States
English to German
+ ...
Is there an easy way to superscript in SDL 2009? Aug 28, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Bernhard,

It's because Studio sees 129th as an alphanumeric string rather than a number which it found in the source. If you do it the other way around you'll see that 129th is not picked up as a recognised way to write this unless you use superscript and then the number is recognised. ...

Hi Paul,

Is there a simple way to just make sure that I can finish the project even with the error message? Do I have to be concerned that it won't let me do that?
Or is there an easy way to superscript the "th" without having to change any settings?

Thanks.

Bernhard

United Kingdom
English
No problem Aug 28, 2013

Hi Bernhard,

These errors should not prevent you from saving the target file. Try it now and see (Shift+F12). If they annoy you just turn off the number verification and then you won't see them. And then when you get time, perhaps create some rules to catch the sort of things you come across a lot and use them on each project you work with.

You can save them as custom QA rules somewhere safe and then add them again easily if you upgrade, or even want to share them with others.

Regards

Paul

United States
English to German
+ ...
Complete SDL project successfully Aug 28, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Bernhard,

These errors should not prevent you from saving the target file. Try it now and see (Shift+F12). If they annoy you just turn off the number verification and then you won't see them. And then when you get time, perhaps create some rules to catch the sort of things you come across a lot and use them on each project you work with.

You can save them as custom QA rules somewhere safe and then add them again easily if you upgrade, or even want to share them with others.

Regards

Paul

Thanks a lot, Paul! Appreciate your help, as always.
I finished the project, created the project return package and sent if off.
Bernhard

United States
English to German
+ ...
segment tags Aug 28, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Bernhard,

Regards

Paul

Okay, now they're saying
that the file I sent them contains tag errors; none of the target segments show the tags of the original segments. They say they can't generate a target file.
What do i do to fix that?

Bernhard

United States
English to German
+ ...
Error message failed to verify document object reference not set to an instant of an object Aug 28, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Bernhard,

Regards

Paul

It seems I can't verify the document and I only saw a few tags in the original segments which were never duplicated in the target file.
The message I get when clicking on verify is:

Failed to verify document. Object reference not set to an instant of an object.

Does this have to do with tags??

B

United Kingdom
English
Tag errors are something different... Aug 28, 2013

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Okay, now they're saying
that the file I sent them contains tag errors; none of the target segments show the tags of the original segments. They say they can't generate a target file.
What do i do to fix that?

Hi Bernhard,

If you miss tags, formatting tags generally don't matter so much other than the target won't be formatted in the same way as the source, they can actually prevent the correct generation of the file.

So you should make sure that all the tags that were in the source are also in the target. If you turn of the number verification check that gives you this silly error and then press F8 you will be able to run a verification that will identify all the segments that have missing tags, or tags in the wrong order for example.

You then correct them and press Shift - F12 to make sure that the target can be saved, and if it can then you're sorted.

If you have any problems with this, and if you're allowed to share the files with me, feel free to send me an example and I can explain what you need to do.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

United States
English to German
+ ...
still not verifying Aug 28, 2013

Thanks, Paul.

When I try to verify, i still get that failed to verify document. Object reference not set to an instant of an object message.

Do I have to do a preview first or close the file after I am done translating before verifying?

United States
English to German
+ ...
message when trying to save target as Aug 28, 2013

is this one:

Cannot find file type definition with id copy of xml v 1.2.0.0.

The original package they sent me had this extension:
SDLPPX

[Edited at 2013-08-28 16:36 GMT]

By the way, I retyped everything (started from scratch and secured all tags).

now I can't verify or save target as.

[Edited at 2013-08-28 16:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-08-28 16:38 GMT]

The original file I am translating shows this extension:
xml.sdlxliff

[Edited at 2013-08-28 16:42 GMT]

United States
English to German
+ ...
turn off number verification Aug 28, 2013

[quote]SDL Support wrote:

[quote]Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Okay, now they're saying
that the file I sent them contains tag errors; none of the target segments show the not clear on that.
I went to options, then verification

I unchecked the QA Checker 3.0 under which "Numbers" is listed, still no luck verifying.
B

[Edited at 2013-08-28 17:03 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extra number in target segment or number is missing in target segment/ not properly localized Error

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search