How to Create Project TM in Existing Project?
Thread poster: Rowan Morrell

Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 13:14
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2012

After years of using TRADOS Freelance Edition 6.5, I have just begun to try out SDL TRADOS Studio 2011. (Was kind of forced into it by the circumstances of a particular job.) I downloaded the trial version a few days ago. It took about three hours to install, but once I got it up and running, I quite successfully created a project, added the client's Word file and TM, did the job, revised it, saved it as a clean Word file and delivered it last night. So far, so fantastic.

However, I've hit a little snag, which is that the client also wants a TMX file based on the project TM. (This seems to be a standard requirement of theirs, but it's the first job I've done for them.) But graduating as I have from TRADOS 6.5 to TRADOS 2011 (sort of like going from a Fiat to a Ferrari), I had no idea what a project TM was, let alone that I was supposed to create one. Well, now I do at least know what a project TM is, but I'm having enormous difficulties with it. The TRADOS Help file is singularly unhelpful on this subject. You're supposed to create a project TM when creating a project. But as I said, I did not do this. As far as making a project TM for an existing project is concerned, it seems to be completely silent.

I have tried to create a brand-new TM and add it to my project in Project Settings. I have also endeavoured to import the project's sdlxliff file into this new TM, but for some bizarre reason, it only imported 50 out of some 554 TUs. I've tried selecting "Update Project TMs" under Batch Tasks, but it just says that there is no project TM. I've tried updating the main translation memories in the hope that it will update both the main TM and the new one. But no joy.

I'm at my wit's end and feeling extremely baffled, confused and frustrated. Can anyone possibly give me a "dummy's guide" in how to create a project TM for a project that's already created and otherwise finished? Or have I been doing the right things and is it just buggy? I have read elsewhere that in TRADOS 2009 at least, project TMs were rather a waste of space. Even the SDL people themselves seem to think that! I'm certainly no fan of them at the moment. This is proving to be a most vexatious complication when I've already completed and delivered the actual job. TIA for any assistance you can render.

Best Regards

ROWAN M.

[Edited at 2012-03-06 03:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-03-06 03:50 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:14
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
easy solution Mar 6, 2012

I don't think you can add a project TM to an existing project (although I would be happy to be corrected).
There's a very simple solution, however. Forget your project. Go to the Translation Memory window (bottom left of screen) Create a new, empty TM. Now click on "import" and add your translated sdlxliff file. Now "export" your TM in tmx format.

HTH,
Emma

New Zealand
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already tried that Mar 6, 2012

Thanks, Emma, but as I explained in the third paragraph of my original post, I have already tried that, and only 50 out of 554 TUs (or segments) were imported. No idea what I did wrong, or maybe it's just buggy.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Number of TUs Mar 6, 2012

Rowan Morrell wrote:

only 50 out of 554 TUs (or segments) were imported.

Sorry, I didn't read your 3rd paragraph carefully enough.
However, only finding 50 TUs sounds like the classic case of simply seeing what's on screen. Have you clicked on "go to next page" (fat blue arrow in the toolbar)? And have you checked the number of TUs under file>settings>translation units?

I hope one of these ideas will help

New Zealand
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doh! Mar 6, 2012

Why did I not think of that? I should have figured it might be 50 TUs to a page. I have discovered that there are in fact 451 TUs in there (which is still a little short of the original 554, but maybe some of them were merged, or perhaps it's still buggy like in TRADOS 2009). So now I've gone ahead and exported the TM and delivered the TMX file to the client.

They've already sent me another job, and this time I managed to create a project with a project TM. But if I forget to do that, I now know the backup plan. I had basically figured it out, and it did work (more or less). I just couldn't see it.

Many thanks indeed for your assistance Emma - much appreciated.icon_smile.gif

Best Regards

ROWAN M.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Also worth knowing... Mar 6, 2012

... that there are two applications on the OpenExchange that can create a TMX from your Studio bilingual files. These might be interesting for you too;

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=194

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=175

Regards

Paul

Alekos Psimikakis  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:14
English to Greek
+ ...
Great! Jun 1, 2014

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

There's a very simple solution, however. Forget your project. Go to the Translation Memory window (bottom left of screen) Create a new, empty TM. Now click on "import" and add your translated sdlxliff file. Now "export" your TM in tmx format.

HTH,
Emma

Simple is best! Great, thanks from me too!
(We never read manuals in full, do we? icon_smile.gif)

Alekos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to Create Project TM in Existing Project?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search