How to manage tags in an excel or word document
Thread poster: Sonia Gouin

Sonia Gouin  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:25
English to French
Mar 7, 2012

Here’s my problem. I own SDL Trados Studio 2009 as well as SDL Trados 2007. My client wants me to translate only certain sections of their website so they've exported the content to translate in an Excel file. However, all this content has been copied with associated html tags. First this causes a problem when I try to evaluate the wordcount and second, it will be a hassle when I go translate as I will need to avoid writing over these tags. I have asked the client if it was possible to get the source files but he says it isn’t as they only need partial content translated... Can anyone suggest another solution? Just to give you an idea, I copied the text in Word to get an idea of the wordcount and it totalled 60,000 words (with tags mind you). I tried doing a wordcount in Studio but the task failed due to some conflict with the content... or maybe the file is too large. Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:25
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use search & replace in Word Mar 7, 2012

This will be more or less a piece of cake.
When you have the text in Word, press CTRL+H to get to the S&R dialog.
Press More or Advanced (not sure what you have in your Word).
Now in the line "Find what" enter exactly this:
\<*\>
in "Replace with" enter
^&
Make sure the cursor is in the line "Replace with", then press Format, select Style... and chose tw4win.internal. Press OK.
Select "Use widlcards" and perform "Replace all". Save this Word document, create a TTX file out of it and translate this one in Studio.
When done, use "Save target as" in Studio, produce the target Word document.
Paste the text from Word into Excel and you're done.

Patrick Porter
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try saving the content as an HTML file Mar 8, 2012

Another way would be to paste the content into a text editor like Notepad and then save the file with the ".html" extension. In case you are not familiar with that, in the Notepad "Save as" file dialog, make sure to select "All files" in the "Save as type" box. You probably will also want to choose "UTF-8" as the encoding. Then manually add ".html" to the end of the filename and save.

You will then have an HTML file you can use to work in Studio 2009. I think it will give you an accurate word count without the tags, but am not entirely certain. In any event, it will allow you to work on the text only, and will treat the HTML tags as tags/placeables. Then, when you are done, you can open the translated file with a text editor and then copy the translated text, HTML tags and all, into a new Excel file (if that is what your client wants delivered).

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Saving as html is the solution Mar 12, 2012

Hello,

I just tried your suggestion Patrick and I am amazed. I am now rid of all these tags and the wordcount has gone from 60000 to 54900 so it looks like the tags have been excluded. I have not tried Jerzy's suggestion as this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you sooo much.
Sonia

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
how to go back to Excel from html Oct 11, 2012

Hello, I posted this in March when a solution was proposed. My client had postponed the project and I am only now starting to work on this. Saving the file as html was great for wordcount purposes as well as for working purposes. However, now that I actually need to start the project, the client wants the project back in Excel with all the French cells next to the English. How do I go back to Excel so that everything goes back to its place. When I open my target html file in Notepad, I am not offered the option to save as Excel. Any ideas on how I could make this work? Thank you.

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Segments containing partial sentences because of special fields in Excel Oct 15, 2012

Client needs me to translate only part of their website. I need to translate static pages and transactional pages (approx. 60,000 words). They have therefore copied all text that needs translation in Excel and they want me to hand this back in Excel, with the French cells next to the English cells. This poses two challenges for me:
1) All the formatting tags are in the same cells as the text. On a previous post, someone suggested I copy the cells in NotePad and save as html. This worked very well but now I’m not sure how to convert the target html file back into Excel so that the cells coincide with the source cells.
2) My other problem is that many cells contain only partial text. Ex: “, at its option, will repair or replace any defective product unit at no charge”. I told the customer there was no way I could translate bits of sentences like this but he replied that that’s the way the page was designed. The thing is that the field that precedes this sentence as well as many other ones, is a field that may require to be changed, that’s why it’s cutoff from the section to translate.
I am not familiar enough with applications that enable transposing text into Excel so I’m not too sure on how I can help the client in presenting me the content otherwise. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to manage tags in an excel or word document

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search