Make Studio 2011 differentiate between 'no' as in 'number' and 'no' as in 'opposite of yes'
Thread poster: Stefanie Sendelbach

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:18
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 9, 2012

Hi colleagues,

How do I tell the autopropagation function in Studio 2011 to skip the word 'no' in the English source text? The documents I am working on at the moment constantly switch between 'no' as 'number' and 'no' as negative answer. I tried playing around with filters and I looked at the autopropagation options, but I am not sure what to tick where, and I cannot find the answer in the documentation or the online help.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Stefanie

Direct link Reply with quote

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exclude a word from auto-propagation Mar 9, 2012

Hi again,

Just to clarify: I am not expecting Studio to know when 'no' is a number and when it is a negative answer. I just do not want the word 'no' to be auto-propagated in my target text. Any ideas how I can exclude that specific word from the auto-propagation?

Thanks!

Stefanie

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Got any sample text? Mar 13, 2012

Hi Stefanie,

It would be helpful to see some sample text so I can repro what you're doing and then perhaps suggest a solution?

Regards

Paul

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some more explanation Mar 13, 2012

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your reply!

Well, it's a problem I face in many technical manuals or material data sheets. My files contains single segments with the content 'no'. Studio auto-propagates them with 'Nr.' (the German abbreviation for 'number'), which is usually correct in the header of a table and in many other cases. But sometimes 'no' is also a negative response, and therefore I would prefer Studio to exclude this single term from the auto-propagation and let me take the decision. Is there a way I can do that?

Best regards,

Stefanie

United Kingdom
English
Use the display filter Mar 13, 2012

Hi Stefanie,

Tricky if you have both options for the same thing and you want AutoPropagate to work for some things but not for others.

Maybe you can use the display filter for this so you filter on all segments that use "no" and then you decide which ones should be "nein" by doing them one at a time and then locking the segment. When you are done you clear the display filter and translate the document as normal and all the locked segments will be ignored.

If you have lots and lots of segments like this it will be a little painful to do the first run and lock them all, but if you set AutoPropagate to always ask first for this part and then you only accept the correct ones as you work with a single click then it will be much easier I think.

Regards

Paul

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On filters Mar 13, 2012

Hi Paul,

Ok, thank you! I will try that in future.

While I was trying to solve my problem, I created a filter in Project Settings -> Language Pairs -> Translation Memories -> Filters. I guess it was the wrong place to change settings because now I have a new problem: I get a 1% deduction on ALL my segments. This is what it looks like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/77927882@N08/6978012021/

I'm trying to get rid of the filter, but I cannot seem to do it. I re-created the TM, still the 1% off. I re-created the project, same thing. Actually I even went all the way back to creating a new project and a new TM. I only imported my old TM that did not have any filters applied to. But still I get the 1% deduction!

How can I delete that filter from my TM? I am working on a project with around 70% repetitions, so it would be very tiresome to manually click all the 99% matches that should be auto-propagated.

Stefanie

[Edited at 2012-03-13 11:46 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
A guess... Mar 13, 2012

... make the change in Tools -> Options -> Language Pairs -> Translation Memories -> Filters

The project settings will only affect the project you are working on and not each new project thereafter.

Regards

Paul

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it! Mar 13, 2012

Thank you so much, Paul! I had tried to work this out for several days. Now my problem is finally solved!

Thank you!

Stefanie

[Edited at 2012-03-13 12:08 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Make Studio 2011 differentiate between 'no' as in 'number' and 'no' as in 'opposite of yes'

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search