Failed to save target content: Missing tag ERROR in Trados 2009
Thread poster: Kelhara Translations
Kelhara Translations
Spain
Local time: 13:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 9, 2012

Full error: Failed to save target content: Missing tag ' < bookmark end id="11"/ > ' in segment . Please run the Tag Verification to see details.

I am working on a file and when saving back to Word, I get this error, I've run the Tag Verification, but it doesn't tell me where the error is, I haven't touched any of the tags and double-checked them all.

I opened the source file with Word's Open and Repair function, but to no avail.

I'm at a loss, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Anna

[Modifié le 2012-03-09 10:20 GMT]

[Modifié le 2012-03-09 10:21 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do what the program suggests Mar 9, 2012

Run the verifier - press F8.
You will get the error reported. Double click on it and insert the missing tag in your translation.
Should there be more errors regarding missing tags, correct them too.
NExt time pay also attention to messages shown during the translation work and do not delete any tags if you are not certain what you are doing.

Kelhara Translations
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did all that Mar 9, 2012

Hi Jerzy,
I did what the program suggests.
I ran the verifier, double-clicked on it and that segment had no tags, there were no other tag errors, I didn't delete any tags and I pay attention to all the messages I get and I don't delete tags.
The error keeps coming up.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you able to preview source? Mar 9, 2012

Sometimes, however rarely, the document itself is damaged.
If you can preview source, then it is something wrong with the translation. If not, please try to save source in different format (for example as Word 2007) and try to translate this one using the TM from the project.
You can also send me the source and the translated SDLXLIFF for cheking to jerzy at czopik dot com.

Kelhara Translations
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
something wrong with the original Mar 9, 2012

Hi Jerzy,
Tried saving it in 2007 too, but it didn't work.
I erased a strange table on the first page and it works fine, so there's the error.
The original seems to be damaged in that table, the client has just emailed me, I'm not the only one who's had the problem.

Thanks,
Anna

[Edited at 2012-03-09 18:43 GMT]

trent2101
Dutch to Czech
+ ...
this happens to me sometimes Apr 17, 2012

sometimes when the source text had been converted from a PDF file to word, sometimes for no apparent reason. The problem is that sometimes there is a warning about changing the tag order, but it is not possible to keep the tags where they were because the word order is different. Sometimes I even keep the target the same as the source just because the tag or bookmark would change if I translated it, but it does not work. The problem is that I´m working on a larger project for which I had to copy lots of text from the source provided by the client as they want me to keep the terminology the same.
Some parts of the text appear in other documents too so there is no way I can do anything about it, because TM does it by itself...
it drives me crazy, as I have to copy everything from Trados, segment by segment into the document, as the client wants it all there including tables, words in bold and pictures.
I thought that Trados would actually save me some time...

[Upraveno: 2012-04-17 14:12 GMT]

trent2101
Dutch to Czech
+ ...
tried again Apr 18, 2012

saving the source document in another format and the problem lasts..
after using F8 no mistake is found.

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
same problem here May 14, 2012

I am also getting the same error message and wrong percentage on my Trados 2009.

This is a new strange behavior which I never had before and, if I am not wrong, it happened consistently with sdlxliff files derived from ttx, mif and docx files.

The last was a short docx with absolutely no visible tags in it, but it refers to a missing tag bookmarkstart if="0" name="_GoBack/" in segment 17 (which is the last segment). Tag verification is still finding a missing tag in the last line.

The same error keep appearing even if I copy the all original text in the target column (with alt +ins) and confirm each TU in this way!

Ana Kardum  Identity Verified
Croatia
German to Croatian
+ ...
I had the same problem - my solution Jul 2, 2012

I just had the same problem and I converted the original file into Word 2003, imported it and translated it in Trados 2009 (it removed a few tags in comparison to the previous file format) and then I exported it again and converted it back to Word 2007. That solved the problem this time.

I hope this problem will not reappear. I will probably switch to Trados 2011 as I hope it will better handle such problems.

Have a good working week.

Best regards,

Ana

Maria Luna Cuberta
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I get the same error message Feb 20, 2013

Hi there,

I am getting the same error message.
I work on Windows 7, with Office 2010 and Studio SP3. My client is sending several docx files with particular formatting and I am unable to save target content, with the same error message reported. If I convert docx to doc I can work and export correctly, but my client needs those files to be docx in order to respect the original formatting.
Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

Maria

Greg Irving  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2012)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Errors saving TARGET - Tags you cannot see in the Trados file. Jan 24, 2014

My example: illustration id=" 2" name = picture"/>" in segment 5. Cannot write Word file

1. First make sure that you have confirmed all the segments you have already translated – for extra security, go to Menu>Project>Batch tasks> Update Main Translation memories. This will make sure the TM is ready to auto-complete the translation in new file, in the new SDL Trados project that you are about to create.

2. In Word: Start to open the source file but CLICK ON THE LITTLE ARROW NEXT TO THE "Open" button, and then select "Open & Repair".

3. Save the file with a new name

4. Create a new project, using your new source file – be sure to use the same TM that you used on the project where you got the error.

5. The TM will automatically translate most of the segments you have already done – there may be a few that do not have the perfect formatting (colour, text style etc.) but you can fix these by copying source to target segment and pasting your translation into the text – note: paste after the first character and you will get the correct formatting.

This worked for me several times with source files originating from PDF or other non-Word formats you will find that Trados has created a Word document for the source in your project folder. Simply do the above to that file and it works!

Hope this helps, it is fairly quick.

Maria Meneses  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:18
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
FAILED TO SAVE TARGET CONTENT Aug 10, 2014

The message I got is this error: while converting fields to Microsoft Word format. Possible fields deletion.

I tried several solutions and I have no results

Can you help me.
Regards

Maria Meneses

Andrew Ivanchenko
Ukraine
Local time: 14:18
English to Russian
+ ...
Same problem in 2011 Dec 1, 2014

I had same same problem in Trados 2011 - tried to open and repair a source document - no results.
Then just deleted a problematic segment (error message specified its number), ipened the file again and used the same TM - no problems arose. I suggest unfortunately it's the most efficient method.

Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 07:18
German to English
Genius! Apr 27, 2015

Dear Andrew,

I just wanted to tell you that you are a genius.
Thank you for this work-around, you just saved me hours of copy and paste.

Kind regards,
Rebecca

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Failed to save target content: Missing tag ERROR in Trados 2009

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search