Can't get rid of TM
Thread poster: Jean-Paul Salaün

Jean-Paul Salaün  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:52
English to French
Mar 9, 2012

I work with SDL since SDLX and if Studio 2009 was a real update
I cant say that I am wery happy with Studio 2011.
In particular I am wondering why some keypad shortcuts were changed which force me to change my touch
That being said,
I have a peculiar glitch on my Studio 2011
Each time i open it a window appears telling me

Error
The translation memory C\...\...\xxx.sdltm could not be found.
Click OK to specify its location, or Cancel to disable this translation memory

And it happens 3 of 4 times for 3 translation memories each time i open Studio 2011 or i switch from projects to files or editor.
This is rather annoying

I did specify the location by going to the folder they are after clicking oK
With no results
I try to cancel with no results either
So what should i do

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:52
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Remove the reference to those translation memories from your projects Mar 9, 2012

The reason is, that you moved or renamed the translation memories and now the projects referring to the previous locations or names do not find them.
As for the shortcuts: change them according to your needs.
Or load the SDLX profile.

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Can't get rid of TM Mar 9, 2012

Thanks a lot Jerzy,
It seems to work

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Can't get rid of TM Mar 13, 2012

Hi Jerzy, seems i was wrong,
the same problem reappears each time i open Studio 11
I got an error twice on 3 TMs
here is what i did, first, when the message error displays, i click ok and then go to the folder inside which is the TM and open it.
at this time a second error message displays with the second TM
i click ok and then go to the folder inside which is the TM and open it.
third error same operation
then it comes again a second time
So when i can select a project
the same and complete operation has to be done
after which i can do my job and close Studio 11
BUT
when later on i reopen Studio 11
here it comes again
i try a second way to delete the wrong links
I go to Projects
Right click to open Projects settings
Open Translation memory and automated translation
the window of Tm displays and there i add the TM
when i click on settings i get the real location of the TM
but when i reopen Studio 11 i get the same error with a wrong address for the TM (the old one)
I do not know what more i can do

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, I am not in your PC Mar 13, 2012

Usually it works like this:
You have a folder or folder group for TMs. Then you add the TMs. You also have a folder for projects, where you create them. When a project is done you close it. But you do not move it.

What you certainly can do: remove the projects which report errors from the list.

Please do not take this personally, but tidying up your folder structure in your PC would be a good solution. Having a structure valid for all the time, not being changed from project to project and keeping files all around the place.

Hope Farmer
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Tidying up folders Mar 23, 2012

I also have this problem, and it is precisely because I DO "tidy up" my folders!

I keep active projects in one location and delivered projects in a different location.

I you go through the steps to tell Trados the new location of the TMs after "tidying up", why does it not remember them, especially since it ASKS for them?

The problem here really seems to be the tool, not the user.

Maybe there is a SDL Trados 2011 guru out there that has another idea about how to get Trados to remember the new location?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why do you move TMs? Mar 23, 2012

I understand moving projects, but TBH I am not able to understand why do you move TMs?

BTW, if you do what you do, every single program will have the same problems as Studio. Only single files can be moved that way. Everything else, what links to different files and folders will loose the connections.

Maybe you try simply marking the projects as completed in the list of Studio and removing them from there? Then even if you move a project, no projects related messages will appear, as the project will not be listed anymore.

Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
Had the same problem. This is what worked for me. Mar 24, 2012

Jean-Paul Salaün wrote:

I work with SDL since SDLX and if Studio 2009 was a real update
I cant say that I am wery happy with Studio 2011.
In particular I am wondering why some keypad shortcuts were changed which force me to change my touch
That being said,
I have a peculiar glitch on my Studio 2011
Each time i open it a window appears telling me

Error

And it happens 3 of 4 times for 3 translation memories each time i open Studio 2011 or i switch from projects to files or editor.
This is rather annoying

I did specify the location by going to the folder they are after clicking oK
With no results
I try to cancel with no results either
So what should i do

Hi Jean-Paul,

I had the exact same problem. This is how SDL helped me to finally get rid of it:

Open Studio 2011.
Click on the Projects tab.
Remove all the projects from this list.

Next time you open Trados or a new project, the system should just search for your TMs in their new locations since there is no more reference to their old locations through that project list.

Good luck!

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Can't get rid of TM Mar 25, 2012

Thanks to all,
i remowe the projects and it solved a part of the problem.
But the thing is when i was working with Studio 2009 i could move my TMs and link them afterwards to where they were.
So why it is not possible to do it in Studio 2011 even if as Hope mentionned it it ask for it.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
"getting rid of TM" is most problably not the correct description here Mar 25, 2012

What you need is to remove the references to the TMs, which you have moved for reasons I really fail to understand.
But left that alone, check all your settings for links to nonexisting TMs - not only the project settings, but also Tools - Options - Language pairs.
Please really remember, that Studio works in a very structured way, so placing files here, there or anywhere is never a good idea. You need a structured file and folder system. And try to keep it instead of changing it all the time.
An example of an organized folder structure could be:
d:\Translation Memories\Language Pairs\Custumer names\TMs...
d:\Projects\2011\...
d:\Projects\2012\...
and so on
This way you can keep the paths to the TMs unchanged and avoid such problems.

BTW, this is a problem which is 100% user related and does not have anything to do with a software bugs. In Studio the user always decides, where the files go, so the user should not blame the software, when he leaves the references to files in the software and then moves the files without telling the software this.
Or what would you say, if you would tidy up your room and on the next day wanted to use a pencil you have put in a certain place on your desktop yesterday, but your kid would have moved it?

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Can't get rid of TM Mar 26, 2012

Hi Jerzy,
Thanks for all your explanations, they are really useful.

But i desagree with you on point.
You say that this is a problem which is 100% user related and does not have anything to do with a software bugs.

In that case could you explain me why the error message is the following:

Error

and that when you specify the location by going to the folder they are after clicking oK
or try to cancel You get no results

results that you get before in Studio 2009.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TBH: I do not know Mar 26, 2012

I never get such messages, as I do not delete my translation memories nor do I move those.
My folder structure is very similar to what I've presented here, however much more complicated, as I am using a local HDD and a NAS server. But although the folder structure is indeed not plain I am able to synchronize my desktop and laptop and can coninue working on any of my projects here or there. On top the projects can be opened from another computer here, which is used for revision. And there are NO error messages regarding the location of files.

As the software is not storing the files where it wants, but does what the user wants, this is the responsibility of the user to maintain the file structure.
It does not make any difference, if the software is Studio or anything else. As soon you create a project with references to files in several locations and then move the files, you will get error messages. Some software will allow you to modify the links, some not.

And really, I do not get such messages also when I get project packages from customers, even if the main TM is not present on my system. So once again - the problem here is your personal organization and not Studio in first place.

Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:52
Member (2007)
English to French
Given this all our fault... Jul 6, 2012

We can only give each other tips.

Melanie, very kindly, gave us this solution:

Open Studio 2011.
Click on the Projects tab.
Remove all the projects from this list.

Having the problem with just one client TM, which had gone awol for some reason which I could never work out, I deleted the projects relating to this client.
It solved the problem without having to delete all projects, which I wasn't keen on.

Trados seems to be happy with it and the error message has disappeared.

Carole PAQUIS

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't get rid of TM

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search