Thread poster: Herman Boel

Herman Boel  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 09:26
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 10, 2012

Hi all,

When I work with Trados 2007, I notice that Trados Workbench works fine and swift during the week, but incredibly slow on Saturdays (and perhaps also Sundays).
When I open a file in TagEditor, I can do pretty much everything until I connect TE to Workbench. Then it takes ages to go from one segment to the next. And only during the weekend.

Does anybody know what can be the reason for this? I asked Trados a long time ago but of course I did not get an answer from them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Most probably... Mar 10, 2012

... WB also would like to have a rest during weekends... (just kiddin' )

But, if serious, the first thing I would check would be some processes running in the background that could be scheduled on weekends: antivirus, antispyware, disk defragmenter or alike.

Natalia

Herman Boel  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but Mar 10, 2012

Thank you for your reply, Natalia. However, if that were the case, it would also influence other programs that I am running. And literally everything works as it should, except for Trados Workbench. Other CAT tools have no problem whatsoever.
So it must definitely have something to do with Trados WB...

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Scheduled tasks running in the background... Mar 10, 2012

I don't see any reason why Trados would be slower on week-ends... except that it shares the processor(s) with other tasks. Some run every day, but some may be scheduled.
Main examples are save procedures, and system scans. They both make a lot of I/Os, and the rest of the processes may be struggling to take their turn (especially Trados which searches the TM all the time).
So, check the scheduling, and choose better times.
Also, if your antivirus does system checks and scans all your disks, it may be very lengthy if you have network storage connected, and if it tries to check it (the I/Os take much more time than for an internal disk, and depend on the connection type - WiFi, CPL, Ethernet cable).
If you are unsure about which processes cause problem, open the Task Manager and check the processes (the Display menu allows you select which variables are displayed, be sure to show memory and I/Os).

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Maybe Mar 10, 2012

other programs are less dependent. In case the problem occurs on certain days only, this must be some scheduled process.

I understand your point, but anyways, just take a moment to check.
Just press Ctrl+Alt+Del, and check the processes running in the Task Manager.

It would be fine to compare the processes shown in the task manager during the weekend and during the weekdays. In case the culprit is there, you will certainly notice either the presence/absence of some process or the difference in resources consumed by some process.

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Processes struggling for memory can really slow down the system Mar 10, 2012

Alta Verba wrote:

... And literally everything works as it should, except for Trados Workbench. Other CAT tools have no problem whatsoever.

I doubt that the Workbench is a problem by itself. But I know that TagEditor may be very slow as soon as the file is huge! I've never really checked why, but I suppose it requests a lot of memory, which in turn may generate page faults if other processes are competing for memory, and hence a lot of additional I/Os... I suspect that TagEditor is not coded in a very efficient way compared to other CAT tools.
Something that may be more or less bearable when no other greedy process is running may become unbearable when two of them compete for memory.... Because of page faults, time doesn't simply add, there is a huge overhead due to page faults.
Using Task Manager and displaying adequate variables may help figure out what happens.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:26
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Change the date Mar 10, 2012

You can change date and time of your computer's clock, then you see if Trados really cares about the weekend.

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I wouldn't do that Mar 10, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

You can change date and time of your computer's clock...

If you change the date back and forth and create (or update) files, the dates of your files will be messed up too... This may cause problems, in particular with backup software.

Tapsa
Local time: 10:26
English to Finnish
You can safely change the date and time as long... Mar 11, 2012

as you change the date back after test.

Changing date does not change the date of existing files, and if you are concerned of your test files being backed up, don't Temporary files that may be affected are also not of concern. Of course, do not open and save other files in other programsi, if you are concerned about backup. And if you do, you can always change the date to whatever you want. Backup programs rely on either the changed attribute (which is in practice unreliabe - relying on this has left many of my files unbacked) or changed date - this is more reliable - or neither of these (full copy).

Do this of course before your next backup, if you really use a backup program.

cheers, Tapsa

bohy wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

You can change date and time of your computer's clock...

If you change the date back and forth and create (or update) files, the dates of your files will be messed up too... This may cause problems, in particular with backup software.

[Edited at 2012-03-11 02:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-03-11 02:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-03-11 03:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Workbench incredibly slow on Saturdays

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search