Problem with alignment
Thread poster: Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:40
German to French
+ ...
Jun 15, 2004

I am trying to align two excel tables with walign of trados 6.5. When I click on Start alignment, nothing happens, it remains by O%. Then I want to try again and i can't access the button start aligment again. Furthermore everytime I try to access the configurations, it is written power point instead of excel.
What did I wrong? Why Is the alignment not starting (the aligment of the titles works perfect)

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details, please... Jun 15, 2004

Hi Yolande,
Can you please indicate what files you're trying to align?

Also...
Yolande Haneder wrote:

I am trying to align two excel tables with walign of trados 6.5. When I click on Start alignment, nothing happens, it remains by O%. Then I want to try again and i can't access the button start aligment again.

I'm not sure which button you're referring to? The context menu entry Align File Pair, perhaps?

Furthermore everytime I try to access the configurations, it is written power point instead of excel.

See above - what file type are you working on? What file type did you specify in the project settings?

What did I wrong? Why Is the alignment not starting (the aligment of the titles works perfect)

Er... how can you align "titles" when the alignment won't start in the first place?

Best regards, Ralf

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Files to be aligned Jun 15, 2004

I did manually translate a list of strings on Excel and now I would like to get them in my TM. To do this I cut the excel file in two according to the language (English/German). So far it is working until I click on "Projekt alignen" and then nothing happens.

Yolande

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
(Probably) normal behaviour Jun 15, 2004

Thanks.
How long did you wait before deciding that "nothing" happened?

IIRC WinAlign does not align directly in MS Excel, but converts the files into a Trados-compatible format (pretty much in line with the procedure in TagEditor). As this involves converting all Excel-specific information into Trados tags, the process takes some time - in between, you get the impression that nothing happens when, in fact, the system is busy converting. (Note that the same effect happens when
... See more
Thanks.
How long did you wait before deciding that "nothing" happened?

IIRC WinAlign does not align directly in MS Excel, but converts the files into a Trados-compatible format (pretty much in line with the procedure in TagEditor). As this involves converting all Excel-specific information into Trados tags, the process takes some time - in between, you get the impression that nothing happens when, in fact, the system is busy converting. (Note that the same effect happens when working on PPT files - it's only the first-time conversion that takes this long.)

What you could do to find out if this is the issue is to open the two Excel files in TagEditor, and to save them as .ttx files - alignment should start instantaneously.

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
T-Window for Excel Jun 15, 2004

Furthermore everytime I try to access the configurations, it is written power point instead of excel.

This happened to me yesterday. I use WinAlign 6.5.2.417 (build 417). I think it's just a cosmetic bug.

But in the end I used T-Window for Excel. I needed to align each cell of the original to the corresponding translated cell (only one column) no matter how many sentences they contained. It was easier with T-Window, because WinAlign ignored the cell borders and tried to align individual sentences or terms. Maybe that changing the alignment settings would help (tags significance?), but I didn't have time for that.

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Align cells Jun 15, 2004

I think I will forget for the moment having to align the document cell for cell (I also have 417). If I need to refresh my memory I will then manually look up in the table. It is quite a big document and since I have another one coming round the corner, I don't really have time to do it.

Thank you a lot. I will try it when i have more time.

Yolande

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with alignment

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »