Thread poster: Heloisa Ferreira

Heloisa Ferreira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:20
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 11, 2012

Hello all,

recently I received a group of Word files from a client that had been pre-translated using Trados. This means that, when opening them, I see a bunch of Trados tags with the text in the middle, and when trying to work using the workbench, all tags come embedded in the text. I'm pasting an example below:

{o>All trademarks are used with permission

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:20
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
presegmented Mar 11, 2012

Heloisa Ferreira wrote:

Hello all,

recently I received a group of Word files from a client that had been pre-translated using Trados. This means that, when opening them, I see a bunch of Trados tags with the text in the middle, and when trying to work using the workbench, all tags come embedded in the text. I'm pasting an example below:

{o > All trademarks are used with permission < }o{ > < o}

Is there a way I can work with just the text, without the Trados tags? Do I have to clean the file first? I don't understand "pre-translated", as the client didn't send me the TM nor this file has any translation. Any help would be appreciated.

It looks like your client has presegmented the text using workbench, or pretranslated it with a TM that hasn't given any matches.
When you click "open/get" inside the first sentence (all trademarks...), doesn't Workbench work as usual?

By the way, when posting in this forum, you can't use the keys < and > unless you follow them by a space, because otherwise they are interpreted as BBcode. I've added the spaces to your post in order to be able to read the rest.

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
What software are you using? Mar 11, 2012

It looks like these files are "pre-translated" for Word, which may be handy for translators who don't have Trados or WordFast... but this will not work outside of Word, for instance with TagEditor.

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution? Mar 11, 2012

Yes, I've opened Tag Editor just in case, it won't work. But yes, with Workbench, they work fine, but all tags come together with the portion to be translated. This is what I wanted to skip, getting only the text. Is there a way?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Why Mar 11, 2012

don't you ask your client for a clean source file and TM?

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agency Mar 11, 2012

Natalie wrote:

don't you ask your client for a clean source file and TM?

This job was sent to me by an agency, they won't let me be in contact with the final client. I already sent them a message asking for clean files and the TM, but I highly doubt they'll send me.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Nobody is speaking about the final client! Mar 12, 2012

Heloisa, in this case your client (=customer) is the entity who has sent you the file for the translation and who will pay you for your work, no matter who is it, an individual or an agency.

In case you have problems with the file that you need to translate, you need to tell this to your client (=customer). Tell them that the file is corrupted and unsuitable for work, and ask them to send you a non-segmented (i.e. non-pretranslated) file. If they are interested in getting a translation, they should help.

but I highly doubt they'll send me.

Good clients are always helpful in such cases and do what they can.

[Edited at 2012-03-12 00:13 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with pre-translated Word files

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search