Trados Studio 2011 major bug and a couple of issues
Thread poster: netrom9
netrom9
Namibia
Local time: 00:55
Mar 12, 2012

In an attempt to let off some steam from the ordeals of having to relate to the ever frustrating, so-called CAT tool Studio 2011, I will share some of my observations and views with you.

During a job involving about 400 tiny xliff files, I noticed Studio responded slower and slower, and about 3/4 into the job the program would not close the files unless I forced it to close. I invited a friend who is a programmer to have a look at it. He did some heavy reengineering and found that Studio performs continuous scans in the folder structure of the computer basically in search for project files. We zipped the project files, and Studio went back to normal speed, which in itself of course is not acceptable by any measure. A tip then would be to zip all the project files after a while in use.

When it comes to the most valuable functions for translators in Studio the developers have really messed things up. In TagEditor the autotext function was simply fantastic. You entered the most common words and even long phrases, and with only a click on the Enter button you would insert the translation, proofed and ready. I must have saved weeks, even months of work on large projects using this function. What happened with the launch of Studio? They had to mess things up, didn't they? There's an autotext function, but you must write half the word first and then choose from at list of matches. A twenty year leap in the wrong direction that is. With some dexterity at the keyboard you would be sooner off writing it in full.

The third and last issue with Studio is the file analysis function, or, rather, the lack of it. There are functions and options all over the place, none of which are of any use for the average translator, but the single one function that would be handy, is practically unavailable or useless at best: the file analysis. Going via Batch processes and doing this and doing that only to end up with som obscure analysis of something you are not interested in, doesn't do it for me. What is wrong with a button on the Toolbar that would say "Analysis" and which would give you the right to browse to the relevant files and produce a fuzzy match overview?

Studio 2011 is simply the worst tool I have ever laid my hands on, I regret buying it as I noticed later on that Dkill would do the trick on the demo, and I suspect it is all because SDL has not consulted real translators or even put down an effort to comprehend what the translation process comprises in terms of efficiency.

netrom9

[Edited at 2012-03-13 08:58 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Iuliana Bozkurt  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 00:55
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Quite so Apr 2, 2012

Indeed, I am not happy either with Studio 2011 (not even with 2009, but I thought 2011 would be an improvement). I have a client who always sends me legacy sdlx memories and it takes AGES for Studio (2009 and 2011) to convert them into the new format). Usually, after having waited for half an hour, I find myself in the most unpleasant situation: I receive an error message stating that the conversion could not be complete because of an obscure reason. And my 30 minutes of work are lost. Not to mention that, when trying to close the software itself, I have to wait approx. 5 minutes (!!!) for it to finally decide to close. I am not happy with it and I completely understand what you say here.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:55
English
Why upgrade them? Apr 2, 2012

Hi,

I don't know why they won't upgrade for you, we'd need to see the TM and investigate the reason. But there is a free app on the OpenExchange that will allow you to connect directly to an SDLX TM so you don't have to upgrade it at all. You can update it as well, but it would make sense just to lookup this one and update your own SDLTM as you work.

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=129

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011 major bug and a couple of issues

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search