How to work on 2 computers with Studio???
Thread poster: Eloïse Notet

Eloïse Notet  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:32
Member (2005)
German to French
+ ...
Mar 12, 2012

Hello to everyone,

I have been working for some time with Studio (2009 and 2011), after many years on the previous versions and have a problem with these last versions: how to translate a same project on 2 computers?

To be clearer, I created a project on my fix computer, begun to translate it and wanted to continue the translation on my laptop. I tried to copy the project on a key and to open it on the laptop, but it didn't work. It tried to create another project but of course, the already translated files were then empty. The only solution I found was to transfer the memory, and then to translate the file again.
Is there another, easier solution to work on 2 differents supports without having all these things to do? Who knows the correct procedure? I am sure that I miss something.

I had the same problem with a package sent by a client and did not find here no solution.

Who could help?

Thanks in advance

Eloïse

Direct link Reply with quote

Richard Foulkes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:32
German to English
+ ...
Copying the package to a USB stick should work Mar 12, 2012

Hi Eloïse,

Like you, I work between a PC and a laptop. I'm working a project at the moment using both the PC and laptop at different times. The whole project and TMs etc. is on a USB stick. I put this in either computer and it works fine so I'm not sure why it should be a problem for you.

Maybe if you provide some more details someone will be able to help.

France
Member (2005)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Richard Mar 12, 2012

I created the projects on the PC, not on the stick. Did you?

Sigrid Andersen  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Danish to German
+ ...
2 licenses? Mar 12, 2012

Do you guys have 2 licenses to work on both PC/laptop or how does that work? I might have to start doing the same soon so would be very helpful to know.

France
Member (2005)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Sigrid Mar 12, 2012

in the freelance version, you can activate your license on two computers (same license).
Have a look in your license manager. You should see how much licences you activated etc.

Richard Foulkes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:32
German to English
+ ...
Yep Mar 12, 2012

Sigrid - I have the 'Plus' version of Studio 2009 which provides 2 sets of licences. It is quite useful depending on how you work.

Eloïse - I didn't create the project. The agency did. I downloaded / moved it onto the USB stick and open it from there whether it's inserted into my PC or laptop. Hope you manage to get it working!

Sigrid Andersen  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Danish to German
+ ...
thanks a lot Mar 12, 2012

Thanks a lot and sorry to just break into your question Eloise, that is very nice indeed!

Hmm to your question, im just guessing, but could it work via a local network or the new Online-TM function in Studio 2011?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to work on 2 computers with Studio???

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search