Updating TM after Proofreading and more...
Thread poster: Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Local time: 00:36
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
Jun 16, 2004

Hi!
I am working with Trados Freelance 6.5. I am wondering if there is any efficient way to update the TM in Trados after the document has been proofread and edited without Trados Workbench or the TM being open?

I also have another question. Why did Trados change fonts and formatting in tables during cleanup of a word document?

Thank in advance you for you input!

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 07:36
German to English
+ ...
Well..... Jun 16, 2004

Terese Whitty wrote:

Hi!
I am working with Trados Freelance 6.5. I am wondering if there is any efficient way to update the TM in Trados after the document has been proofread and edited without Trados Workbench or the TM being open?

Why not have your proofreader make the changes before cleaning up the document? Otherwise you need to either realign your text or fix the changes in your database by editing the segments.

One of my customers regularly sends me tagged Trados files for proofreading - as long as I know that the tags are there and not to mess with them (and what to do if I do end up typing in the middle of a tag) then it works just fine. You can also use the track changes option in word to show where the changes have been made (of course you have to accept the changes before cleaning up your Trados-tagged document).

Terese Whitty wrote:

I also have another question. Why did Trados change fonts and formatting in tables during cleanup of a word document?

I think this happens if the original document has not been formated properly. Lots of people just change the text type without changing the style attributes - which causes Trados to s***w up the formatting.

FWIW

Alison

abaensch
abaensch
Germany
Local time: 07:36
English to German
Fonts and Formatting Jun 16, 2004

Hi Terese,

Had this fonts and formatting problem a couple of days before. Try the following:

In TW open File -> Setup -> Fonts. De-select "Translate into target default for all other fonts", if checked.

In my case it worked properly.

HTH

Andreas

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sometimes TMs cannot reflect fully edited documents Jun 16, 2004

In my opinion this is a steedy problem with Trados. It is true that one should work as much as possible on bilingual files. However, when it comes to formatting adjustments, change of punctuation (including splitting or joining sentences), and rephrasing after reading on printout, dealing with Trados hidden text becomes often very annoying.

Technical specifications aside, I do not really believe that a TM can totally reflect the last stage of a fully edited text. Not always. The ex
... See more
In my opinion this is a steedy problem with Trados. It is true that one should work as much as possible on bilingual files. However, when it comes to formatting adjustments, change of punctuation (including splitting or joining sentences), and rephrasing after reading on printout, dealing with Trados hidden text becomes often very annoying.

Technical specifications aside, I do not really believe that a TM can totally reflect the last stage of a fully edited text. Not always. The experienced Trados user probably knows that, and use TMs whisely. I wonder if agencies are fully aware of this problem, when they ask for updated TMs or bilingual files to be delivered along with the final translation, or when they ask "not to change 100% matches".
Collapse

Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:36
English to Swedish
+ ...
hidden text Jun 16, 2004

Terese Whitty wrote:

Hi!

Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:36
English to Swedish
+ ...
hidden text? Jun 16, 2004

Hi Terese,

I don't know if you have lived with the same blissful ignorance as I did about hidden text. Do you know that you could untick the box hidden text under Tools-Alternatives-Visa, so you only see your target language which is a must for editing and proofreading? But you can then open each segment separately so you don't mess up the tags.

Alternatively you can use the concordance button if you have not got many changes and you already have cleaned the document a
... See more
Hi Terese,

I don't know if you have lived with the same blissful ignorance as I did about hidden text. Do you know that you could untick the box hidden text under Tools-Alternatives-Visa, so you only see your target language which is a must for editing and proofreading? But you can then open each segment separately so you don't mess up the tags.

Alternatively you can use the concordance button if you have not got many changes and you already have cleaned the document and change the TM directly but that will not help with fonts etc.

You can also use the BAK-file that you get after cleaning which still has both languages in and save it as a Word-document and do your changes there to the memory.

But perhaps you already knew all this.

FWIW

Anette

Terese Whitty wrote:

Hi!

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updating TM after Proofreading and more...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »