Thread poster: xxxStrastran
xxxStrastran
France
Local time: 03:33
French to English
+ ...
Mar 14, 2012

Hello

I am trying to open a Word file for translation, but for some reason not all of the text is being 'picked up'.

To clarify: the text in the first half of the Word doc is not greyed out, exactly, but it is in a pale sort of colour. Halfway through, it changes to a standard black text colour, and that is where Trados - whether I use Studio or TagEditor - 'begins' translating. This means it is ignoring the entire first half of the document. I hope that's clear!

I've tried opening the Word file as .docx, .doc and .rtf, to no avail.

I have the feeling it's a simple option I need to tick or untick somewhere, but I can't find where. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

[Edited at 2012-03-14 09:47 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Text in a field? Mar 14, 2012

Or text formatted as hidden?
Or image pasted into document?
Just check this.

xxxStrastran
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 14, 2012

Thanks Jerzy, I've tried those but no luck.

I have found a workaround of sorts, though - I selected all of this pale grey text that's not being detected and removed all formatting from it. Studio now recognises it, and I'll change it back after.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Text was hidden then... Mar 14, 2012

Or formatted with a TW4win style.
Ask the customer if that was NOT intended.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Perhaps untranslatable? Mar 14, 2012

Patrick Stenson wrote:
To clarify: the text in the first half of the Word doc is not greyed out, exactly, but it is in a pale sort of colour. Halfway through, it changes to a standard black text colour, and that is where Trados - whether I use Studio or TagEditor - 'begins' translating. This means it is ignoring the entire first half of the document. I hope that's clear!

Hi Patrick,
could it be that this "pale" part uses the TW4WinExternal style? If so, the document has been probably pre-processed by your client and this part has been excluded from the translation intentionally. You might want to check with your client.

If this is not the case, try changing the style of this part of text to "Normal". This should help.

ETA: I see Jerzy was quicker...

[Upraveno: 2012-03-14 10:27 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio/Tageditor 'ignoring' text in Word file

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search