Thread poster: Studio-ti
Studio-ti
Italy
Local time: 14:31
English
Mar 14, 2012

Hi there!

My problem is the following:
I need to use Trados Studio 2011 (just purchased) to translate FrameMaker 10 .mif files (Studio 2011 is compatible with 8-10 FrameMaker)
BUT
I also need to cooperate with freelancers who only have previous Trados versions (not even 2009)
SO
is there a way, or anywhere I could look (please just give me some link and I will do my homework), to learn if and how this is feasible? In short: to create a project in Studio 2011 and then "export" some Trados 2007 translatable files for my non-studio colleagues?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Anna

Direct link Reply with quote

Roberto Lombino  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
all is possible ... Mar 14, 2012

but you must check if your version is a freelancer one or the professional one.

in the freelance version you cannot create package project, you must buy the professional versions.

I hope to have helped you

Roberto

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Great tools on the OpenExchange Mar 14, 2012

Studio-ti wrote:
I need to use Trados Studio 2011 (just purchased) to translate FrameMaker 10 .mif files (Studio 2011 is compatible with 8-10 FrameMaker)
BUT
I also need to cooperate with freelancers who only have previous Trados versions (not even 2009)

Hi Anna,

If you are sharing work with users who don't use Studio then it doesn't matter what version of Studio you use because they either need to be able to open the SDLXLIFF (Studio bilingual), or work on a file that they can open (TTX or Bilingual Doc).

So your best option for the latter is to use the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter. This will allow you to convert your SDLXLIFF to a TTX or a Bilingual Doc that can be worked upon in any tool supporting these formats and then you can import them back into Studio to update your TM and finish the project.

You can find this here:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=194

Regards

Paul

Post edit : Not Starter or Express. So only Freelance or Professional will work with the OpenExchange Apps.

[Edited at 2012-03-14 17:22 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Let them get on with it Mar 14, 2012

Why is this your job? Just let them do their job, you do yours, end of story. Or are you the PM here?
You can exchange TMs in TMX format, and you can exchange bilingual files in ttx if you want to.
If you'll be reviewing their work or vice versa, then use ttx files, which are supposed to be fully compatible between tageditor and studio. If tageditor can create ttx files from the .mif files, then you're golden. If not, you might have to create the ttx files for the others, possibly with the openexchange app posted by Paul.

Studio-ti
Italy
English
TOPIC STARTER
The OpenExchange App is great! Mar 15, 2012

Thank you very much for your support!

I have downloaded the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter as suggested by Paul and made two or three experiments with it, to understand how it works and how I should set the files best for my convenience.
But, most important of all: it works! And does what I need it to do.

And yes, I am actually acting as the PM in the company, and we have Trados Studio 2011 Professional (so no compatibility problem there).

I must get familiar with the software, but now I know that what I want to do is feasible, so thank you very, very, very much for your help.
Great solution!

A nice day to you all,
Anna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with Trados 2011 together with non-studio freelancers

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search