Despair with tags
Thread poster: Lotus LS
Lotus LS
Israel
Local time: 09:02
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Mar 18, 2012

I recently posted about some trouble I was having with superfluous tags and got some helpful workarounds in response. But I realize that I am still losing large amounts of time trying to surmount this problem by various means. In fact, even when the tags are seemingly appropriate, dealing with them takes me far longer than it would to just reconstruct whatever formatting I need in the target document.

As background, my clients are not demanding or using Trados, at least so far - it's supposed to be purely for my own improved efficiency and speed.

Anyway, I'm frustrated and finding that this cancels out a lot of my time savings from the actual usefulness of the system. I'm wondering two things:

1. Isn't there any way to "tell" Trados that I don't care at all about the formatting and just want to translate the text alone? (I've been saving my source files as .txt to get this effect, but that's another time wasting activity in its own right).

2. Is this a normal part of working with Trados that I need to just get used to and get more efficient with, or am I doing something essential wrong if this is such a constant issue?

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:02
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Yes Mar 18, 2012

In Tageditor > Options > Verification you can switch off tag checking completely.
With Word-documents I would use Wordfast Classic and format the segments on the go. You can do that with Trados too, but the Add-on is not so comfortable as WFC.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Despair with tags

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search