Hakan Kiyici  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 12:05
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Mar 19, 2012

Hi,

I deliver Unclean files for one of my clients.

I receive the source as Word document. I complete the translation. When I want to produce an Unclean document, it does not translate some parts.

When I checked, I have realised that it was to do with tabs and bullet points in the source. And may be some other formattings (in one of other clients it was the Table of Contents). Source is copied from a PDF or HTML doc and pasted into Word document, I think.

I could not find a solution to it while keeping the source formatting. The client insists on having Unclean file in Word format and does not accept TM for importing to database.

Worst, it seems like I am the only person having this problem in the team. Other translators do not have this problem, as I am told.

Would there be any tweak in the settings to be done to correct this? Any solution?

Any help to solve this will be much appreciated.

Thank you
Kind regards

Hakan Kiyici

Direct link Reply with quote

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:05
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Open in TagEditor... Mar 19, 2012

Open Workbench and your TM.

Open the original document in TagEditor.

Open the first segment, and activate the Fuzzy translation. Since everything is in your TM, it will retranslate automatically, but it will stop everywhere there is not a 100% match, which is probably everywhere there are tags (bullets, text formatting, etc.).

When this happens, copy the source segment, and retranslate the text taking very good care of not changing places, adding or deleting any tags.

When you are done, activate Preview target document on the bottom bar. The document will display in Word and you will be able to see any problems easily. Make a note of the errors. Go back to TagEditor, select the Edit function on the bottom bar, and open the segments and make the changes you need, if any. Repeat Preview target/Edit as many times as needed, until satisfied.

When you are done, either Save as your last version of the Word document while in Preview mode, or while in Edit mode activate File, and select Save as target.

[Edited at 2012-03-19 15:18 GMT]

Turkey
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Mar 19, 2012

Hi,

I will check and see if this solves my problem.

Thank you very much.

Hakan Kiyici

Turkey
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I gave up Apr 17, 2012

I tried several options with 2009 and 2007. I could not make it work. As I am not very familiar with 2007, I cannot work in that.

I tried even pasting as plain text. It did not work for some sentences. It did not take up some sentences as segments.

The client was insistent on the bilingual format without any missing segment.

Then, it just occurred to me and I import my TM to MemoQ and completed there with no problem.

I will go by this road I guess.

Thank you

Hakan

p.s.: Trados Help suggests to buy 2011 which has included bilingual word support. This should have been done in 2009 in the first place and have backward compatibility in TM and bilingual word files. If forgotten, then, remedy it in the updates or service packs.

I am not sure if it worth upgrading only for this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unclean file translation problem with 2007 Workbench

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search