Margreet Mohle  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:04
Member (2010)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 20, 2012

Hello,

I just started working for a new client and they want to receive an unclean .doc file besides my clean translated document. I did the translation in Trados 2009. I can't figure out how to convert my bilingual sdlxliff file (which has a .doc extension, but doesn't open the same way) into a Trados 2007 unclean file.

Any advice?

Thanks!

PS. I did manage by moving my TM into Workbench, and then manually solving any problems related to different segmentation and tags. Next time I'll work directly in 2007, unless someone has an easier solution... I'm still open for suggestions.

[Edited at 2012-03-20 14:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-03-20 14:58 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:04
English to Hungarian
- Mar 20, 2012

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=194

Margreet Mohle  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:04
Member (2010)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 20, 2012

Thanks Zoltán, I will try that!

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:04
English to Spanish
Bilingual ("unclean") Word files & Studio Mar 20, 2012

Hi Margreet,

SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter works perfectly well, but it does not reproduce the original formatting of the document.

Most probably your client wants the bilingual ("unclean") document just to update their TM, so, unlike the target version of the file, the formatting is not important at all, and SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter would serve your purposes.

But, if for whatever reason (for further editing purposes, for instance) you need to deliver the bilingual document with the original formatting, you need to use both, Workbench (Trados 2007 Studio) and SDL Studio 2009/2011.

To provide your clients with bilingual ("unclean") Word files keeping the original formatting, do the following:

First, in Workbench (Trados 2007):
1) Go to Tools/Translate, and make sure that the "Segment unknown sentences" is checked.
2) Pre-segment your Word file in Workbench using an empty TM. In the "Files to translate" box add the files you want to pre-segment either by dragging and dropping them or using the "Add..." button.
3) Click on the "Translate" button. The result will be a pre-segmented Word file, with the exact same source text as source and target for every segment.

Then, in Studio 2009/2011:
4) Go to Tools/Options
5) Click on "File Types" to expand the list
6) Click on "Microsoft 2000/2003/2007/2010" (according the Word version used for the file you have) to expand the list
7) Click on “Common”
8) Make sure the "Process files with tw4winMark style" checkbox is unchecked.
9) Prepare your project in Studio as you normally do, adding your pre-segmented file, TM and TB (if any) at the appropriate steps.
10) Translate the Word file.
11) Save the file. It will be saved as a bilingual ("unclean") Word file.

This process looks very long because it is described step by step, but it goes fast.

Good luck!

Miguel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating unclean .doc (Trados 2007) with Trados 2009

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search