Working with an Excel file containing HTML code in Studio 2009
Thread poster: Caroline Lakey

Caroline Lakey  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:06
French to English
Mar 22, 2012

Hi,
I have a very large Excel file which contains html code. (Masses of it!)
When I save similar data in an html file (using notepad++) and process it in Studio, it works like a dream, with all the code hidden as tags and just the text appearing for translation. However, when the same data is in the Excel file, studio just treats it as normal text, all the html code appears and I can't see the wood for the trees. Also, processing is very, very slow.
Is there a setting which I can adjust so that Studio recognises the html code contained within the Excel file?
I hope this is clear - if not, please let me know and I will try to explain the issue more precisely.
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Caroline

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 02:06
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
not with Studio Mar 22, 2012

AFAIK Studio does not have a filter for such files but you can use Déjà Vu X2 www.atril.com or MemoQ www.kilgray.com for such files.

In Déjà Vu X2 this is called Nested Filter

Automatically process embedded HTML markup in your XML, Office 2007 and 2010 documents.

To do so, simply check the option “Process Embedded HTML” in the File Properties window before importing your file.

You can use the trial version of Déjà Vu X2 for this project.

[Edited at 2012-03-22 11:07 GMT]

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but I'd really prefer to use Studio this time if at all possible Mar 22, 2012

Thanks Selcuk, it's really interesting to know that other tools are capable of handling this type of file, however unfortunately I don't have enough time to take on learning a new tool before I deliver this project. I will consider the options you suggest in the future though.

Can anyone confirm that Studio definitely isn't capable of handling this file?

Thanks

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
silence gives consent Mar 22, 2012

Caroline Lakey wrote:

Can anyone confirm that Studio definitely isn't capable of handling this file?

No replies? What about the "snippet markup" in Trados 2007, do you have Trados 2007 as well?

Look at this thread please http://www.proz.com/forum.php/sdl_trados_support/138212-snippet_mark_up_plugin_for_text_element_in_excel.html

[Edited at 2012-03-22 22:19 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Embedded content in Excel Mar 23, 2012

Hi Caroline,

The current version of Studio does not support this as Selcuk noted. It is planned as part of a service pack later this year though.

You might be able to tweak the segmentation rules by breaking segments whenever you come across tags but if the tags are formatting then this may be pretty undesirable.

Regards

Paul

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Shame, but thanks anyway! Mar 23, 2012

That's a shame, but thanks for confirming.
Have a good day,
Caroline

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
2 questions Mar 23, 2012

Hi Paul,

SDL Support wrote:

The current version of Studio does not support this as Selcuk noted. It is planned as part of a service pack later this year though.

I guess this SP is for the 2011 version, right? That will be a good reason to upgrade from 2009 to 2011 (though I still use the 2006 version:)

Studio 2009 was shipped with Trados 2007, so the snippet markup can be used, right? AFAIR, there were differences between the help file Translator's Workbench User Guide and the GUI. I think the help file is outdated and does not reflect the latest changes brought by SP3.

Kind regards,

Selcuk

xxxavsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Which SP? Jul 13, 2012

Paul,

Can you tell me in which SP this option will be available? HTML in Excel is recurring problem (at least for us) that is costing time, money and resources...

Cheers,

Marie-Claude

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2 Jul 13, 2012

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

Paul,

Can you tell me in which SP this option will be available? HTML in Excel is recurring problem (at least for us) that is costing time, money and resources...

Cheers,

Marie-Claude

Hi Marie-Claude,

It is in the SP2 release that is due for release this month... so imminently.

Regards

Paul

xxxavsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Thanks! Jul 13, 2012

Unfortunately too late for the urgent project we're stuck with at the moment, but it's comforting to know a solution is coming

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with an Excel file containing HTML code in Studio 2009

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search