SDL Trados 2011 Freelance with or without 2007 ?
Thread poster: millet-aur

millet-aur
Local time: 04:00
English to French
+ ...
Mar 22, 2012

I am going to buy the license of SDL Trados 2011 Freelance, because the 2009 version is no longer available. In your opinion, it is useful to also buy the 2007 version in the same package ? I thank you in advance for your advices.
Aurore

Direct link Reply with quote

Birgitt Nardi  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
It depends on your clients Mar 22, 2012

Hi Aurore,
In my eyes it depends on the fact if you have customers who will still require or use Trados 2007 in the future. Since I use Studio 2009, I haven't worked with 2007 anymore. But if it's the same price for the two of them as it was when I bought 2009, you can just take them both. You can also ask your best clients for advice and what they plan to use, and then decide.
Best regards,
Birgitt

millet-aur
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your e-mail Mar 22, 2012

Hi Birgitt,
There is 70-100 euro of difference between the two prices. The most of my clients asked me to use a CAT tool, without any preference. One of them asked me to use Trados. The fact is that I do not know Trados very well, I used a little bit Studio 2007 and 2009, I do not know 2011 at all.
Do you think you will upgrade your version with 2011 one ? Studio 2009 seems no longer available..
Thank you for your anwser.
Best,
Aurore

Helmy Ismail Sani  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 10:00
Member (2010)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Studio 2011 is similar to Studio 2009 Mar 23, 2012

Hi Aurore,

Studio 2011 is a better version of Studio 2009. With Studio 2011, you can also work on ttx files (trados 2007 file). After completing the translation, you can save it back to ttx file but you cannot have bilingual doc file.

To my opinion, Studio 2011 is much easier and more comfortable than trados 2007.
Regards,
Helmy

millet-aur
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So you think that I probably do not use Studio 2007 if I have Studio 2011 ? Mar 23, 2012

Hi Helmy,
Thank you for your answer. Have you receive any specific formation for using Trados ? Do you think I can "basically" utilize it without any formation ? I think I will probably follow a training course in a second time, but one of my client needs to receive a translation performed with Trados within this Monday.. and I am a little bit worried !
Aurore

Simon Lewis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
Italian to English
bilingual .doc Mar 23, 2012

Apparently you can translate and save bilingual .doc files with Studio 2011, although I haven't tried it. The only problem is that the file needs to be segmented first - which requires workbench! Of course you could ask your clients to send you pre-segmented files.

I use studio when I have original files to translate (for end customers), but the agencies I work with still tend to be on 2007 (or even requesting bilingual .doc), so I would think it's worth the little bit extra

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Another option... Mar 23, 2012

... that is useful for some users and customers (but I would confirm first) is to use the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter. This way you can translate the files in any format and always return a bilingual doc if needed.

You can find this app here, and many other useful apps to enhance your Studio experiences:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/

Regards

Paul

millet-aur
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your answers Apr 3, 2012

I decided to to buy Trados 2011 + 2007, inthos way, I will be able (I hope !) to work with a higher number of translation agencies.
Best,
Aurore

Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same problem Apr 5, 2012

I have a similar problem.

The difference is I have Trados 7 Freelance. I know it is different from Trados 2007, but I don't know exactly what the differences are. Do I need also Trados 2007?

Also, will my Trados 7 work on the same machine as Trados 2011 or will there be conflict?

Thanks,
Cristina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2011 Freelance with or without 2007 ?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search