https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/221198-need_help_in_removing_useless_tags_from_word_document.html

Need help in removing useless tags from Word document
Thread poster: Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 23, 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a Word document that from the properties I see was produced in Mac (I don't know if this has anything to do with it).

When I open the document in Trados Studio Freelance 2011 (working on a PC with Windows 7), the document is full of tags which do nothing except mess up spacing and make reading the source and target text extremely difficult. If I start with a blank target text (thus losing any suggestions from my TM or the MyMemory plugin) an
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a Word document that from the properties I see was produced in Mac (I don't know if this has anything to do with it).

When I open the document in Trados Studio Freelance 2011 (working on a PC with Windows 7), the document is full of tags which do nothing except mess up spacing and make reading the source and target text extremely difficult. If I start with a blank target text (thus losing any suggestions from my TM or the MyMemory plugin) and then save the target, nothing in the target text formatting is different to the source text, so they don't seem to serve any purpose. There are up to 40 tags in each segment!

I won't even mention the number of error messages this generates every time I confirm a segment, all apparently irrelevant. I've tried hitting the "no tag text" icon - all that happens is that the tags remain as little purple triangles without the extra information.

Does anyone know if there is a simple way to remove tags from the original document? Another 7,000 words of this is going to do my head in!

Thanks in advance
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Please check this forum Mar 23, 2012

Hi Denise,

Please check this forum: the problem of tags has been discussed here so many times (the most recent discussion was yesterday, if I am not mistaken).

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In Word Mar 23, 2012

CTRL+A CTRL+D apply one single font type and press OK.
CTRL+A CTRL+D change to Spacing tab, apply Scale = 100%, Spacing = Normal and deselect "Kerning...." Press OK.
Save, open in Studio - and please use the Search on this forum.
The same tip has been posted no longer than two days ago in this very forum by myself.
Not to speak about other numerous posts on EXACTLY the same problem.

Seraye Mayda

Kate Chaffer
Kate Chaffer
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
Try here Mar 23, 2012

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/221039-tags_everywhere.htm... See more
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/221039-tags_everywhere.html

or here

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/219158-can_i_get_rid_of_tags_in_a_source_word_file.html
Collapse

Denise Phelps
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oops! Mar 23, 2012

Sorry for irritating everyone, especially Jerzy, who spends so much time answering (the same) Trados issues here (repeatedly).

I tried the suggestions, but my PC is Spanish, so the shortcut keys are different and even when I opened the font dialog box by a different method I couldn't find "kerning" anywhere. I tried making the changes suggested, but I'm obviously not doing something important because the text is still full of tags But thanks for the links - I've sent off for the C
... See more
Sorry for irritating everyone, especially Jerzy, who spends so much time answering (the same) Trados issues here (repeatedly).

I tried the suggestions, but my PC is Spanish, so the shortcut keys are different and even when I opened the font dialog box by a different method I couldn't find "kerning" anywhere. I tried making the changes suggested, but I'm obviously not doing something important because the text is still full of tags But thanks for the links - I've sent off for the Codezapper mentioned in one of the other threads, and hope that works.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Microsoft terminology link Mar 23, 2012

Denise Phelps wrote:

PC is Spanish, so the shortcut keys are different and even when I opened the font dialog box by a different method I couldn't find "kerning" anywhere.

Kerning is "interletraje". Actually it's more meaningful in Spanish IMO.

Here's a really useful link to Microsoft terms and their translations: http://www.microsoft.com/Language/en-US/Search.aspx (OK, I must admit I used it to find kerning!)

Ctrl A is Ctrl E in Sp Windows
I can't remember what Ctrl D is, but you can right click and go to Fonts instead.

HTH,
Emma

Denise Phelps
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Emma Mar 23, 2012

I've followed the instructions here several times, one way and another, to no effect. I shall see if the codezapper file makes any difference. If not, there are aspirin in the house

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The reason must be then different Mar 23, 2012

No irritation here
If you don't mind sending me the file to jerzy at czopik dot com I would check it.
Your Word file seems to show some strange behavior, and this makes me indeed curious, why the proposed method will not work, as in my case this removes roughly 90% of all unwanted tags (means fully unnecessary formattings).

Denise Phelps
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jerzy Mar 23, 2012

I've just sent you a copy of the file. Now I shall be biting my nails to see if the file is indeed behaving strangely or if I've been incompetent when following your instructions

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The problem lays indeed more deeply than we suspected Mar 23, 2012

It was not just the "plain" spacing and scale problem, as widely seen in PDF converted styles.
The Word file was more tricky here. The customer has used styles and formatted the document in a very strange way, as he selected some small pieces of texts without neighbor spaces and applied the style there. But the spaces have been retained in the previous style!
CodeZapper would most certainly do its job here perfectly, but I also managed to remove nearly all unnecessary formatting, so
... See more
It was not just the "plain" spacing and scale problem, as widely seen in PDF converted styles.
The Word file was more tricky here. The customer has used styles and formatted the document in a very strange way, as he selected some small pieces of texts without neighbor spaces and applied the style there. But the spaces have been retained in the previous style!
CodeZapper would most certainly do its job here perfectly, but I also managed to remove nearly all unnecessary formatting, so the file now opens nicely in Studio.
Collapse

Denise Phelps
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jerzy Mar 23, 2012

I've already said goodbye to my weekend because of how much this was slowing me down, but at least it'll be plain sailing from here on in, and I can save the aspirin for another day!

Many thanks!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good link Mar 24, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Here's a really useful link to Microsoft terms and their translations: http://www.microsoft.com/Language/en-US/Search.aspx (OK, I must admit I used it to find kerning!)

Thanks for posting this link Emma, which I'm sure will come in handy in future, since I don't know what many of my Spanish keypboard functions are in English.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Caveat Mar 24, 2012

Denise Phelps wrote:

I'm working on a Word document that from the properties I see was produced in Mac ...

I don't know if this has anything to do with it either, but from personal experience and observation I have often found some sort of problem with Word documents created on Macs; maybe not exactly like the one described here, but similar, with stray tags and maybe spellcheck not working or some changes not saved - little bugs but still annoying when time is of the essence.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help in removing useless tags from Word document

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »