Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mar 25, 2012

G'day everyone

I auto-translated 100 TTX files against a TM that contained all segments from those 100 TTX files, using a minimum match percentage of 100%.

How can I determine (a) whether all segments were actually translated (i.e. if there are any untranslated segments left), and (b) whether there are any number mismatches in those files (since I did not penalise the auto-translation matching for number difference)? I'm a very seldom user of Trados 2007, so please be specific if you can

Thanks
Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

Jing Nie
China
Local time: 14:24
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Using Xbench to check Mar 25, 2012

It seems that the Trados 2007 do not check numbers in QA check. I recommend Xbench to check these files, it can clearly point out the untranslated segments and number errors.

564354352  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Never trust a computer program to do your quality work for you Mar 26, 2012

Hi Samuel

I would dare to say that there are no guarantees when using any CAT tool. In the end, you still have to proof your auto-translated texts to make sure the software got it right.

This is, by the way, the best argument against translation companies who insist on paying nothing for 100 % matches. If you want quality, you have to accept that it takes time and costs money to achieve.

Kind regards

Gitte (who uses Trados for practically all my translation work)

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Gitte Mar 26, 2012

Gitte Hovedskov Hansen wrote:
I would dare to say that there are no guarantees when using any CAT tool. In the end, you still have to proof your auto-translated texts to make sure the software got it right.

Absolutely. Auto-translation is only "safe" for certain very specific types of jobs, and doing a numbers check is but one of many checks that one has to do on a translation. In this case it concerns a TM of about 50 segments (mostly table headings), translated by me, matching 100 TTX files. There would be a lot of numbers in it, and an automated numbers check would be useful.

I used Xbench as suggested, and got a very useful report, which (thankfully) contained only false positives.

[Edited at 2012-03-26 09:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Numbers mismatch check in Trados 2007

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search