How to auto-propagate alphanumeric strings in Studio 2011?
Thread poster: Doron Greenspan MITI

Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 08:00
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Mar 28, 2012

I have a large file with many (too many...) strings that look like X1, X2, X3...
I tried to tweak Auto-Propagate under Options/Editor any way I could (reducing match percentages down to 30%!), and still these segments wouldn't auto-propagate.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks, Doron

Direct link Reply with quote

merinber
Germany
Local time: 07:00
German to English
Alphanumeric strings Mar 28, 2012

It is not clear to me if such a string is on the only element in the segment or if is followed by text. That would make a big difference. Assuming that they are followed by text, you could define them individually as variables in the TM settings (language resources), as long as there are not many different kinds. That way they would be recognized as placeables.

Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
These are the only elements Mar 28, 2012

Each cell has "X1", "X2"... "X135"... and just that.
For the time being, I did pre-translate, so I only have to press Enter for these (instead of F4 - copy from source).

I'll have a look at your suggestion, defining them as variables.

Thanks!

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Filter Mar 30, 2012

If Studio 2011 works like 2009, you should Display Filter, choose Source Text and capital letters options and put in the containing box:

^X[0-9]{1,}$

and filter the source text to collect segments which begin with X followed by some digits and nothing else. When these segments have been collected, select them all (hold down Shift, left click on the segment number in the first line, scroll down, left click on the segment number in the last line, release Shift), right click, select Copy Source to Target, then with the same selection, Change Status to „Translated".

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Filter Mar 30, 2012

István Hirsch wrote:

If Studio 2011 works like 2009, you should Display Filter, choose Source Text and capital letters options and put in the containing box:

^X[0-9]{1,}$

and filter the source text to collect segments which begin with X followed by some digits and nothing else. When these segments have been collected, select them all (hold down Shift, left click on the segment number in the first line, scroll down, left click on the segment number in the last line, release Shift), right click, select Copy Source to Target, then with the same selection, Change Status to „Translated".

Indeed, that's the way to do it. You can also lock the segments to make sure you don't change any of them accidentally later.

Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 30, 2012

I'll try that method too.

I also thought that if I had a source which was changeable (i.e. not itd files), I could have run a Find&Replace to add a space between the X and the number, then run auto-propagate, then remove these spaces in the target file.

LuxTranslations  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2011)
German to French
+ ...
Thank you! Apr 6, 2012

Thanks ever so much Istvan!

You helped me a great deal indeed!

Caroline

Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another thank you to István May 30, 2012

I came again across this problem, and thanks to István's simple solution, all was sorted easily.
Thanks!

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
An example Aug 28, 2012

Hi all,

First of all, a huge thanks to István for figuring out how to use this feature.

I have a client sending me files from an editing tool called Lectora.
The catch is that the source file is in RTF format, and can't be tampered with (ie not converted to DOC or DOCX). This means I can't apply hidden styles in Word.

The Display Filter trick would be ideal, so I'm trying to figure out how the regex should be formed to catch these strings.

Between each paragraph in the source, there is a line that goes:
##~~Do not edit this line.123.4~~##

The digits can be any number from 0-99999, sometimes there is a period + decimal, sometimes not. The line always ends with a paragraph mark.

I was looking at István's example ^X[0-9]{1,}$ below, but I'm not sure what each character does here. What does {1,} and $ signify respectively?

Thanks for any assistance!

/Jan

Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Aug 28, 2012

Hi Jan,

I have a similar file, and my solution was to catch all these lines (entering ~~ in the display filter), then change them all into locked segments, then using the filter again (removing the ~~ of course), this time to show only unlocked segments.

So they're all left in peace and don't irritate me while translating the rest.

In the end, I'll just unlock them for the Save As Target action back into TTX.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Economically correct... Aug 28, 2012

Doron Greenspan MITI wrote:

I have a similar file, and my solution was to catch all these lines (entering ~~ in the display filter), then change them all into locked segments, then using the filter again (removing the ~~ of course), this time to show only unlocked segments.

So they're all left in peace and don't irritate me while translating the rest.

In the end, I'll just unlock them for the Save As Target action back into TTX.

Hi Doron,

You don't have to be exactly correct... the term economy of accuracy applies here. All you need is enough to catch the segments you are looking for. So searching for ~~ would do the job easily and looks like something that won't be likely to be anywhere else... if it was then use ##~~ and then keep expanding until the filter displays only what you need. Although I suspect ~~ will be adequate.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to auto-propagate alphanumeric strings in Studio 2011?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search