Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Trados 2009:How to make translation memory from a bilingual terminology list in Excel
Thread poster: Sanne Vuik

Sanne Vuik  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:22
Member (2009)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 28, 2012

Hello,

I have a list with terminology in Excel. I would like to create a translation memory in Trados 2009
so that all these words are registered for future projects.
I thought this would be easy and created a new project with a translation memory and added the Excel file (only the column in the source language).
I wanted to copy paste the column with words in the target language so it would be like a finished translation. But...it doesn't work as all the words are pasted in the same line in Trados instead of putting every word next to the word in the source language.
What could I do to solve this?
Or is there a different method to obtain a translation memory?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Sanne

Direct link Reply with quote

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:22
English to Spanish
To add the content of a bilingual Excel file to a TM Mar 28, 2012

Hi Sanne,

Sorry, originally I misundersood. I am editing 100% of my post.

First of all, I agree with what Heinrich says below. It seems that what you need is a termbase.

But, if you still want to add your Excel file to your TM, do the following:

1) Save the Excel file as an CSV file.
2) In Studio, go to Options/Format and on the right side panel, under "Delimiter", click on the "Comma" checkbox so that is the option chosen.
3) Add the file to your Studio project.
4) Open the file in Studio, to check all is OK.
5) Update your TM.

Good luck,

Miguel

[Edited at 2012-03-28 16:24 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:22
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Do you mean termbase? Mar 28, 2012

Terminology is usually used as a termbase or a glossary. Translation memories are for whole sentences or groups of word in a text.
In Studio you would use the termbase via Multiterm. There are tutorials about the conversion of Excel files to termbase files.

Nicole Champagne  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:22
French to English
How to on Youtube Mar 28, 2012

How to transform an Excel file into a Termbase go to the following link:
http://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A2KLqIpwvGxPqiUAxKYWFQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBncGdyMzQ0BHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEdnRpZAM-?p=trados%20multiterm%20Excel&ei=utf-8&n=21&tnr=20

and click link ''Trados MultiTerm Tutorial- create TermBase from..''

Click the following link to then create a Termbase:
'Converting an Excel glossary (xls) to a Multiterm''

youtube.com has lots of videos on everything Trados: sometimes even the ones in languages you don't understand help because you simply follow the onscreen procedure.

Spain
Member (2009)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! One more question: can I add the termbase to the project and have it on the same screen? Mar 29, 2012

Thanks a lot Miguel, Heinrich and Nicole!

I tried Miguel's solution and it seemed very easy but I got stuck because I couldn't find the option "delimiter" :=(
Then I tried to make a termbase following the video on youtube that Nicole recommended and I have the termbase created, which is great!
Just one more question...The few times I worked with termbases that clients had sent me, I worked with two screens (Studio and Termbase) and I thought there might be a better way to work with the termbase having it on the same screen.
Could you please let me know if this can be done and how it works?

Kind regards,

Sanne

Spain
Member (2009)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found out how to add the termbase Mar 29, 2012

Hello,

I have already found out how to add the termbase to the project.
I just went to project configuration and added it under terminology databases.

Thanks again for all your help.

Sanne

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:22
English to Spanish
Complete instructions for incorporating a bilingual Excel file into a TM Mar 30, 2012

Sanne Vuik wrote:

I tried Miguel's solution and it seemed very easy but I got stuck because I couldn't find the option "delimiter" :=(

Sanne

Dear Sanne,

I apologize, I just realized Step 2 of the instructions I gave you was not complete.

My response comes too late, since you already decided to make a TB from your bilingual Excel file, which definitely was the right thing to do, from the moment you said the file was a bilingual list of terms.

At any rate, to clarify things, these are the steps to add a bilingual Excel file to a TM (which is basically the procedure explained by Paul from SDL a few days ago on another thread, I just used a little more detail):

1) Save the Excel file as an CSV file.
2) In Studio, go to:
Tools/Options/Format Types/Comma Delimited Text (CSV)/Format, and on the right side panel, under "Delimiter", click on the "Comma" radio button, so that it is the option chosen.
3) Add the Excel file to your Studio project.
4) Open the file in Studio, to check all is OK.
5) Update your TM.

[Edited at 2012-03-31 01:44 GMT]

Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
Excel contains sentences. Target column has commas .. what then? Jul 7, 2012

Reference to Miquels recent suggestion:

I have an excel file with source and target SENTENCES, of which the targets contain commas (some cells are pretranslated, others have the source text). They are all to be reviewed.

I found that the 'comma' in the target overrules the 'tab' .. weather I save as CVS or txt - with tab delimiters. And the result is the same for both types, when I open i Studio (having indicated 'tab' as delimiter).

Any solutions?

Kind regards,
Birthe

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
The easiest way Jul 7, 2012

Hello Birthe,
you can download TM Builder for free and use it to create a TM in the TMX format within a few steps. It's easy and pretty straightforward.

Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TM Builder .. for more terms? Jul 8, 2012

Hello Stanislav.
Thank you for your suggestion of TM Builder, which looks very simple. But I don't know if I have overlooked something. It seems to me that you take one term at at time. I needed a whole batch (I have about 350 terms).

Kind regards,
Birthe

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TM Builder for more terms Jul 8, 2012

Hello Birthe,
you simply load the XLS file containing any number of terms and convert it into TMX. You just need to make sure that you only use two columns, one for the source and one for the target language. Works perfectly for me.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
tab delimited Jul 8, 2012

Birthe Omark wrote:

Reference to Miquels recent suggestion:

I have an excel file with source and target SENTENCES, of which the targets contain commas (some cells are pretranslated, others have the source text). They are all to be reviewed.

I found that the 'comma' in the target overrules the 'tab' .. weather I save as CVS or txt - with tab delimiters. And the result is the same for both types, when I open i Studio (having indicated 'tab' as delimiter).

That definitely shouldn't happen, and I think you might have clicked on the wrong button/file at some point in this process if it did. If you save the excel file as tab delimited and then open it as tab delimited, the commas will be treated just like any other character (such as a letter).
You can just copy-paste the two columns into a text editor and save as a .txt, then open in Studio as a tabbed txt. It will work.
Other methods listed here
Personally, I'm not too fond of tmbuilder as it's a closed source program from a non-trusted source. Too risky for my taste.

[Edited at 2012-07-08 16:34 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You could always... Jul 8, 2012

... save the excel as a csv and open it in Studio with the csv filetype and a new TM attached (or an existing one). Then run a batch task to update your TM and you're done.

Regards

Paul

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:22
Finnish to French
trusted vs. non-trusted, closed vs. open source Jul 9, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:
Personally, I'm not too fond of tmbuilder as it's a closed source program from a non-trusted source. Too risky for my taste.

I know you write software for translators. Please explain what makes a software written by Tomasz Ankudowicz (the author of TMbuilder) "non-trusted", as opposed to an allegedly "trusted" software written by yourself?

More than 95% of translators have no progranmming capabilities, so whether a software is closed or open source doesn't make much difference to them, since they won't be able to make anything with the source code. What matters is whether the software does what's it's supposed to do.

The fact that Stanislaw and many others vouch for TMbuilder should indicate it's trustworthy and not "risky". Labelling it "non-trusted" and "risky" is an insult to the author, who is (most likely) a translator like you and me, and was kind enough to make it available to everyone for free.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
closed source vs open source Jul 9, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

I know you write software for translators. Please explain what makes a software written by Tomasz Ankudowicz (the author of TMbuilder) "non-trusted", as opposed to an allegedly "trusted" software written by yourself?

More than 95% of translators have no progranmming capabilities, so whether a software is closed or open source doesn't make much difference to them, since they won't be able to make anything with the source code. What matters is whether the software does what's it's supposed to do.

The fact that Stanislaw and many others vouch for TMbuilder should indicate it's trustworthy and not "risky". Labelling it "non-trusted" and "risky" is an insult to the author, who is (most likely) a translator like you and me, and was kind enough to make it available to everyone for free.

It is from a non-trusted source. That's just a fact. It's not from SDL or Microsoft or some other major software house. In fact, we know nothing about the author apart from his name. It's probably fine, but personally, "probably" is not good enough for me. And that's all I said: I don't use software from unknown sources. If you do, that's your call.
BTW judging from his site, the author is not a translator. Probably has a translator friend and wrote it for them.
Open source vs closed source does matter. Yes, most people won't be able to read the source code, but some people can and do. If I wanted to spread malware, you can be sure I wouldn't try to do it through sourceforge where there's a fair chance that it would be spotted, reported and removed.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009:How to make translation memory from a bilingual terminology list in Excel

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search