Trados 2011 Freelance: Can't create return package
Thread poster: Erudites

Erudites  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:22
Danish to English
+ ...
Mar 29, 2012

Hello,

We hired a translator who used Trados 2011 Freelance to complete a Japanese English project using the Package we sent using Trados Studio (2009). But now she says she cannot create a return package, as it is disabled in her version (Freelance 2001).

Does she need to upgrade to a full version to be able to send the return package? Or, she might be missing a trick such as "finalizing the translation" (some batch task, or similar) before the create return package button gets enabled.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:52
English to French
+ ...
Return Package Mar 29, 2012

Hi,

I assume you assigned a name to your package, all your translator has to do is to go to the Project View after completing it, select the project you sent her, right-click on the project and select Create Return Package.

HTH,

Bernard

Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The "create return Package" button is disabled for her Mar 29, 2012

She is doing that, but she is seeing a disabled "return package" button when she right clicks on it.

English to French
+ ...
What version? Mar 29, 2012

What version is she using?

Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2011 Freelance Mar 29, 2012

i created it in Trados Studio 2009.

She is using Trados Freelance 2011

English to French
+ ...
Project View Mar 29, 2012

Are you sure she's in Project View when trying to return the package?

Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes..she sent me a snapshot Mar 29, 2012

yes..she sent me a snapshot

English to French
+ ...
No Difference Mar 29, 2012

She should be able to return a 2009 project under 2011, I've just checked and it works both in the Editor View and Project View - under Project Create Return Package is enabled - puzzling, did she make any changes to the package you sent her?

English to French
+ ...
SDLXLIFF Mar 29, 2012

As I don't really know what's going on, the easiest way would be for her to send you her sdlxliff files, you can open them under both versions, and rebuild the TM.

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Did you send the TM with the file? Mar 29, 2012

I'm not sure that's the problem, but I think I remember that some translators receiving pretranslated files without the associated TM were unable to produce a return package (option disabled).
I have no recent example, as the agency which used Studio has dropped the idea, after too many such problems... and no real help from SDL.
I think what I was doing in such cases was searching the folders for the translated file, transmitting it "as is" (unpackaged). If you install it in lieu of the previous one (or in the target folder), I think it works...

Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Resolved Mar 30, 2012

Actually, the problem was that the translator never used the package i sent!
She started working on the files directly. So, obviously how can she return the package!

I wanted ttx files, which were created from the xml files. But she started working directly on xml files, so couldn't generate ttx files in Trados 2011.

Then i asked her to send back the TM export, and ran a batch task to pretranslate the ttx files in Trados 2009. 95% of the segments were done, and then i asked her to do the reaming 5 % again...

Pamela Matar  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:52
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
useful link! Feb 29, 2016

Hi people!! Here I found a useful link that helped me with this issue: http://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/12/17/working-with-packages/

It includes detailed instructions on how to work with packages, and how to manage to create return packages.

I followed them, and everything was solved!!!

Hope this helps someone

Regards!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011 Freelance: Can't create return package

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search